andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Valentine’s Day Gift Guide for Your Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Mira Bozhko

Valentine’s Day is probably one of the most difficult holidays to shop for. Do you buy an expensive gift? Or do you stay simple and stick to chocolate? Valentine’s Day is not a major holiday, yet there is an obligation to purchase a gift of some type that’s not just dinner or different types of candy. Unless you’re full of creative ideas, shopping for your loved one can be a total bust especially if you’re shopping for your boyfriend.

From past relationships, I’ve learned that most men are completely content with receiving their favorite candy and anything related to their favorite sports team. But sometimes Valentine’s Day needs to be mixed up with a thoughtful, yet affordable, surprise.

This Valentine’s Day, it’s time to throw out heart shaped chocolate and go with something that has some meaning: a gift basket. It’s simple, thoughtful and definitely won’t break your college budget. For about 25 dollars, you can treat your man to some of his favorite snacks and a few other cute gifts and present them in a cute manner.

Start with a fabric bin from Target for 5 dollars. You’ll be able to fit all of your gift goodies in one spot that is also easy to carry. Plus, he can use the bin for storage once all the snacks and gifts are gone.

To start your basket, find some of his favorite snacks. Prices vary depending on where you go, but Walmart seems to always be the cheapest bet.

Once you have snacks covered, think of a few small gifts that he has been asking about or maybe something you think he’ll love. If you’re clueless (we’ve all been there), try thinking about his favorite hobbies or his favorite sports teams. Think back to when he’s mentioned something that he would love to have. If you still can’t think of anything, try a picture frame with a picture that captures your relationship or a candle because everyone loves a good candle.

Assemble your basket. Now it’s time to really shine with thoughtfulness. Add little notes to the gifts you’ve added to your basket. For example, if you included some Goldfish, attach a note that says, “Of all the ‘fish’ in the sea, you’re the one for me!” Or for a candle, “You really ‘light’ up my life!” Everyone loves a good pun especially if it’s sweet and thoughtful.

A gift basket like this for Valentine’s Day is the perfect gift. It’s simple yet thoughtful. It shows affection without spending tons of money. It’s special but not over the top.

What’s awesome about this gift is that it works for any special person in your life. Maybe it’s a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a galentine or a parent. Anyone is likely to love a gift like this.

So get out there and get crafting! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Megan Rohrbach is a senior at the University of Kentucky. She is majoring in print journalism and minoring in criminology. Her dream jobs include working for the FBI, book publishing and writing for a women's magazine. When she's not in class or writing, she can be found watching her favorite Netflix shows, taking lots of naps, raving about the Ohio State Buckeyes and trying out a new makeup look. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @themegmeg37.