Underrated Music Festivals You Should Probably Attend In 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I lost my music festival virginity to Bonnaroo at the ripe age of 20. Since then, you could probably say I’ve turned into somewhat of a, well… music festival slut.

I just can’t help myself.

Since my first music festival experience at Bonnaroo, I was absolutely hooked. In my world, the months leading up to the music festival season are spent scouring the Internet for the latest line-up releases and making budget plans to craft the perfect summer.

So, if you’re anything like me, as the miserable winter months drag on, you’re dreaming of much warmer days to come. And, believe me when I tell you this: there is no better way to spend those warm summer days than dancing your ass off with a bunch of strangers at a music fest (I should mention that music festival strangers are a rare, but beautiful breed… what they lack in personal hygiene, they totally make up for in awesome).

As of late, larger-scale festivals such as Bonnaroo and TomorrowWorld are getting lots of love. Rightfully so. Both festivals are incredible. People come from all over the world and all walks of life, which is a huge part of why they are so amazing. However, there are a few really great smaller-scale festivals that aren’t so far from our Lexington homeland, and they don’t get nearly as much love.

From my own experience, here are a few of the hidden gem festivals I have discovered in the past few years and thoroughly enjoyed. They’re pretty easy on the bank account, too.

Nelsonville Music Festival – NMF takes place In the Middle of Nowhere, Ohio. Last year, headliners included bands like The Head and the Heart, Jason Isbell, Shovels & Rope, Dinosaur Jr, and my personal favorite, The Avett Brothers. Scott Avett even sweat on me. It was awesome.

NMF is a camping festival, which is the best kind. Not only because you don’t have to pay for a hotel (which is actually a huge plus), but you get to spend a weekend in a tent with your favorite people, surrounded by tons of other really cool music lovers that are doing the same. This gets just a little less fun when it’s 90 degrees outside (shoutout to Bonnaroo), but since NMF takes place in May, you don’t have to worry about baking like a (special kind of) brownie in your tent after the sun rises.

This brings me to my next point: if you’re not into being around assholes who like to attend music fests for the sole purpose of doing drugs and partying (those people suck), this is a good festival for you. I’ve never ran into anyone who was obnoxiously drunk or tripping balls in a way that crossed between downright amusing and annoying. 

Also, as with most smaller scale fests, it’s super easy to get close to the stage. Less attendees = less people you have to claw your way past to get to the front. It’s so easy.

This year, NMF will take place May 28 through May 31 in Nelsonville, Ohio. They have released most of their 2015 lineup, which includes The Flaming Lips (not a show you want to miss), Merle Haggard, St. Vincent, and Trampled by Turtles. Tickets run at about $130.

Bunbury Music Festival – Bunbury takes place in Cincinnati, Ohio. Unfortunately, it’s not a camping fest, but I was surprised by how much I loved it. Last year, headliners included Fall Out Boy (6th grade Stacey peed her pants a little), Paramore, The Flaming Lips, Fitz and the Tantrums, and Young the Giant.

The festival takes place on the river, which is really nice. Also, it’s surprising how much the fine folks at Bunbury give away for free. Last year, there were a ton of free services, such as phone charging stations and hair braiding stations. There were also lots of different vendors who also handed out gifts, like sunglasses, koozies, dry shampoo, etc. As I was strolling past the Pure Romance booth, someone even handed me a free gift I’m a little too embarrassed to tell you guys about. If you guys don’t know what Pure Romance is, they specialize in throwing parties for ladies. These parties include, um… toys.

I actually have to admit, my festival friends were not available that particular weekend, so I went to this one all by myself. But… the music was awesome. The food was awesome. The beer was especially awesome. Am I admitting that I may have drank one or two or 10 too many beers while hanging out with myself? Maybe.

This is starting to sound like a sad story, so I’m just gonna end it here. Bunbury will take place June 5 through June 7 this year and tickets will be around $130. Worth every penny.

Forecastle – A city as awesome as Louisville has to suck at something, but Forecastle is not that something (the actual answer is basketball). Last year proved to be one of their best as far as lineups go, with artists like Outkast, Jack White, Beck, The Replacements, Ray Lamontagne, Dwight Yokam, Local Natives, Band of Horses, and a ton of others.

This fest also takes place on the river. There’s a huge emphasis on art, good beer, good food and good bourbon. I’m counting down the days until they reveal their 2015 lineup, which I’m sure will not disappoint.

This year, the festival takes place July 17 through July 19. Tickets run about $140.

Picture Credits:

www.bassfeedsthesoul.com

Public Relations student at the University of Kentucky. Some of my favorite things in life are good food, good books, good drinks, and good music. Here at HC, I get to write about that.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).