Top 5 Podcast Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Podcasts have become pretty popular over the past decade, From This American Life to Joe Rogan Experience to Serial, they have blown up. They are so convenient to listen to in the car, while you’re doing homework, or before you go to bed. As a person that has a long list of podcast subscriptions, these are my favorite ones to listen to each week.

1. Coffee with Chrachel.

This podcast started up in 2015 by a youtuber, Rachel Whitehurst, who wanted to take a break from YouTube and start something with her longtime boyfriend Chris Hubbard. They both enjoyed coffee and wanted to interact with her viewers more so they started the podcast Coffee with Chrachel. The podcast is basically Rachel and Chris talking about things that have been going on in the past week, take Buzzfeed quizzes, feminist topics and just things going on in their personal lives. They also respond to questions asked by listeners, on Twitter, Instagram and Reddit. It’s a nice relaxing podcast with some “robust” under tones.

2. Dear Hank and John

Everyone in this world should know who John Green is. If not, he wrote The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska, and the list goes on. But about 10 years ago, John and his brother Hank started vlogbrothers, which is a popular YouTube channel in which the brothers make video messages to each other talking about different topics ,etc. But the podcast is where the brothers answer listeners questions and respond to advice as “dubiously” as possible.

3. Lore

If you’re into “spoopy” scary stuff and myths regarding old folk tales, you’ll love this podcast. It’s very similar to the show Supernatural, where you learn about old lore about mystical supernatural creatures, but instead of fighting the monsters, you learn more about the origin of the story. The podcast was created and produced by Aaron Mahnke, who researches all of the stories and narrates the podcast.

4. Still Buffering

This podcast is a very lighthearted podcast that will uplift your spirit if you are in a funk or just need something cheerful to listen to. The podcast involves sisters from Huntington, West Virginia. Sydney and Teylor are over 10 years older than Rileigh, their sister who is still in high school who they give advice to about teen things, how to date, how to Halloween, how to vote. They just don’t give advice to their sister, it’s for themselves and listeners. It’s similar to Coffee with Chrachel but without vulgarity.

5. Ladies Who Lunch

This podcast has a heavy feminist feel to it and I love it. According to their website “Ladies Who Lunch gives you a seat at the table with YouTubers Ingrid Nilsen and Cat Valdes while they explore topics often left out of polite conversation”. Ingrid Nilsen is a very popular “beauty-guru” youtuber who just last year came out as being lesbian. Cat Valdes is also a famous vlogger who is Cuban-American. I think it’s important to have these two different minorities on a podcast to discuss feminist issues and how it affects each of them.

My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.