Top 10 Girly Songs from the 90’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

When we like a song, we only like it for a little while and then it gets forgotten. Not because we want to forget it or because we didn’t love it. But because new music is always coming out, it’s hard to remember every song. So here’s a little reminder of some super girly songs that I’m sure we were all listening to back when we were growing up. So pull out that old IPod and get ready for the best throw back ever!

10. “Vogue,” Madonna, 1990

In the early 90’s Madonna’s “Vogue” hit number one and spent 24 weeks on the charts. The song is very popular and is still known today by girls everywhere.

9. “Wannabe,” Spice Girls, 1996

Who doesn’t love the Spice Girls? “Wannabe” was a popular song when it hit the radio in 1996. The song hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 23 weeks on the charts (Billboard, 2016). 

8. “Man! I feel Like a Women,” Shania Twain, 1997

Although the song never hit number one, it was very popular and empowering for woman. The song spent 28 on the chart (Billboard, 2016).

7. “Just a girl,” No Doubt, 1995

Every 90’s girl knows “Just a girl” although the song was never a number one hit it did make it to 23 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 29 weeks on the charts (Billboard, 2016).

6. “What a girl wants,” Christina Aguilera, 1999

From her self-titled album comes “What a girl wants.” The song was number one and spent 24 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard, 2016).   

5. “Barbie girl,” Aqua, 1997

Although, this song never hit number one the song is very 90’s and very girly. The song went to number seven and spent 16 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard, 2016).

4. “No Scrubs,” TLC, 1999

TLC showed all girls in the late 90’s that they deserve better with “No Scrubs.” The song did make it to number one on the Hot 100 and spent 28 weeks on the chart (Billboard, 2016).

3. “Say my name,” Destiny’s Child, 1999

In the last year of the 90’s girls everywhere were singing this song. That’s why it went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 32 weeks on the chart (Billboard, 2016).

2. “Baby one more time,” Britney Spears, 1998

Today she is known as the queen of comebacks. But in 1998 Britney Spears was a pop star on the rise. “Baby one more time” is still known by girls today. The song became the number one single and spent 32 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard, 2016).

1. “Genie in a Bottle,” Christina Aguilera, 1999

In the late 90’s almost every teenage girl was listening to this song. After being released in 1999, the song hit number one fairly quickly and spent 25 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard, 2016).

It can’t get more girly or more 90’s then these top ten songs. Some if not all of these songs, speak to 90’s girls everywhere. These songs remind us of our childhood and how good it was to be a 90’s baby. Much love to all my 90’s girls out there!

Hey I'm Samantha. Senior at University of Kentucky Graduating in December 2016 From Northern Kentucky Aspiring writer and public relations specialist
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.