Summer Read: ‘Britt-Marie Was Here’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

This is a perfect summer read for everyone out there who wants to read a book this summer that is fun, light-hearted and has an outdoorsy aspect to it.

“When Britt-Marie walks out on her cheating husband and has to fend for herself in the miserable backwater town of Borg—of which the kindest thing one can say is that it has a road going through it—she is more than a little unprepared. Employed as the caretaker of a soon-to-be demolished recreation center, the fastidious Britt-Marie has to cope with muddy floors, unruly children, and a (literal) rat for a roommate. She finds herself being drawn into the daily doings of her fellow citizens, an odd assortment of miscreants, drunkards, layabouts—and a handsome local policeman whose romantic attentions to Britt-Marie are as unmistakable as they are unwanted. Most alarming of all, she’s given the impossible task of leading the supremely untalented children’s soccer team to victory. In this small town of big-hearted misfits, can Britt-Marie find a place where she truly belongs?”

Highlights

I mean it when I say this is by far one of the most inspirational novels I’ve ever read. Immediately after I was finished I found myself wanting to be a better person and to live a life in which no one controls me. If you are seeking a novel that will leave you wanting to change your life, I promise this will not disappoint. Also, I loved the way the novel itself is set up. What seems like months have passed by in the novel is only a matter of days and weeks. The novel flies by and I found myself never wanting to leave the small town of Borg.

Further, I want to highlight the fact that this novel is not a romance. While it is about a woman who leaves her husband, and may find a new love, it’s far from that. Even though our title character is 63-years-old, I would go as far as to call this a coming-of-age novel. It is a realization that anyone can be who they want to be at any age, you just have to jump.

Fair Warnings

I do want to point out a couple things for our readers with skepticism about how great this novel really is. I will say that sometimes this does get a tiny bit hard to understand in that it does take place in England and deals a great deal with European soccer. However, it is really not that difficult because everything is pretty well explained in time. Also, there is a fair amount of foul language and non-explicit violence involved so keep that in mind on the age group reading this.

Thumbs Up or Down?

I am most definitely giving this novel a “Thumbs Up!” It deserves every bit of it. I would recommend this novel to just about anyone. This is the PERFECT novel for all ages 16+ as well as all genders. I cannot wait for you guys to give this book a try this summer!

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.