The Start of Something New!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

While Finals week is winding down, some students are racing to the end of May when they will officially be graduates of 2012, making their way to the University of Kentucky’s Class of 2016! Now, to some of us this sounds insane. My younger brother is in that class, and to be honest it makes me feel like I’m from the Stone Age. But, to these incoming freshmen, it’s the start of a new life, the start of the rest of their lives. We’ve all been there – the nervous student moving into the dorms for the first time, not really knowing anyone (unless you went to school in Lexington, like me. Then you recognize every other person).

It’s an exciting, overwhelming experience, and whether or not that first day ends in your dorm room with five new friends from down the hall, or by yourself trying to sleep before the next-day activities of K-Week, IT WILL BE ALRIGHT. No matter if your parents leave you to yourself and you find yourself crying, or if you immediately jump for joy and go out to explore this new found freedom, things are going to change. You will make new friends. You will succeed, and you will fail. You will get hurt, and you will get frustrated, but no matter what, you will make it in the end

To all of those incoming freshmen – we all know what it’s like, regardless of how many years we’ve been through at UK. Some of us have loved it, some of us have found our dream jobs and are pursuing that path right now. Some of us are graduating and leaving the grounds of this University for good. But no matter what, we are all, and always will be, Wildcats. 

So, with this long-winded speech aside, Her Campus UK will be having an incoming freshman write to YOU about her experiences, worries, excitements, and the stress of getting ready to leave the nest and make UK her home. Be on the lookout this summer for blog entries from her, and get ready for the time of your life this August in Lexington, Kentucky!

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.