Scraping Pennies or Rolling In The Dough?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I’ve always wanted to be the kind of person who was good at saving money. Sometimes I even tricked myself into thinking that I was. I, however, am not really that clever. I know I’m terrible at it and I’m not sure when or where the trouble started. It seems as if I’ve only been bad at saving money since I arrived at college and my mindset was that everyone in college is poor. While everyone might be low on cash because of the high cost of college, it’s obvious that no two situations are alike.

So while my foolish self pondered the luxury lifestyle I would live in my retirement due to all of the money I saved early on in life, my realistic self told me otherwise. If I wanted that cushy retirement, (or even more realistically, if I wanted to pay off my college debts), then I would have to make a change; some habits need
to be broken.

But where to start? 
I feel like I’ve already attempted some sort of financial reformation more than a few times in my life, and 

I honestly don’t think anything will change now. But it’s always worth another shot, right? So then comes the question of what I should change. Cut back on late night Qdoba runs? Quit the splurging at Victoria’s Secret that always comes along with the coupons they send out? Or should I take the route of not 
eating food anymore and saving my grocery money? Unfortunately, all three of those have the same likeliness of happening, and this is where my problem lies.

Finally last year, I decided to open a savings account and take charge of my spending. All of the money I earn from working goes into my savings account- an account that I made sure my bank doesn’t let me touch. This, I’ve decided, is my first step on the road to my future cushy retirement. Or at least it will help me pay back some loans.

Saving money is a difficult task for all college students. Partly because the freedom we now have that we never had in high school allows us to buy virtually whatever we want. If we want to go out to eat, we can. If we want to buy a new iPhone case, we can. If we are over the age of 21 and want to throw down some cash at the Mexican restaurant in town on two-for-one margarita night, no one is going to tell us no. But the majority of our poverty is due to the overwhelming costs that come along with school. So if anything, know that you are not alone in your money struggle; there are plenty of other students who have a situation a lot similar to yours. And maybe someday after a little dedication and perseverance, you can have your Qdoba and eat it too.

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.