Mr. UK Campus Freshman 2015 Contestant: Derek Novosad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Derek Novosad
Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Greek Organization: Soon to be Theta Chi

Major and Future Plans: Aspire to own a chain of Plato’s Closets

What is the cutest Halloween costume a girl can wear and why? I would have to say not a costume bought out of a store, but one she makes herself. Because it shows creativity, individuality, and personality.

What’s the best thing about girls at UK? Yoga pants and rain boots

What is your most prized possession? My bunny slippers. Or my dog Roxie

What is the craziest dare you’ve ever gone through? Back in high school, I was a part of our high school’s broadcasting class. Every day we would go on air at a certain time, and more or less, give everybody in our school the news. My job was to choose the music that was broadcasted throughout the school once we got on air. My friend and I agreed that we were both tired of putting on the typical Kesha or John Mayer songs in which my teacher approved of. So my friend dared me to switch it up one day. When the news came on, Run Girl by the Ying Yang Twins blasted throughout the entire school. The un-edited version. Long story short, Derek had to spend a wee bit of time in detention that week.

Why should people vote you Mr. UK Freshman? I feel as though I stand out from the rest. I have a positive personality and know how to make a person smile. I can be a goofy and eccentric person, but also know how to slow down and appreciate everything around me. I feel as though I am a good leader, and know how to make the right decision. Just gotta look at the glass half full!

Lauren Conrad is a Print & Online Journalism senior at the University of Kentucky. After graduating UK with a degree in Sociology, Lauren spent two years working in marketing in Cincinnati, Ohio before deciding to move back to Lexington to enroll in UK's journalism program. Born in New Jersey, Lauren moved to the south at a young age and considers herself a southern girl at heart. A proud Wildcat, Lauren enjoys rooting for all UK sports. Always open for new beginnings, Lauren is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and for whatever new challenges may come her way after graduation!