Getting Back Into the Spring of Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

You’ve unpacked your things, asked everyone on your floor how their break was and stocked up on food to hold you over for at least a couple of weeks. You’re thinking either one of two things- you’re excited to be back on campus, or winter break went by faster than you could say, “I think I packed too much.” But regardless of which attitude you start with, the spring semester has officially begun.

Second semester isn’t quite as foreign as first semester. You already know most of the people around you and you’re still living in the same place that you were the previous semester. The biggest change is your class schedule, and after a long break of waking up after twelve and doing whatever you want with your day, the school routine can be hard to get back into. You know that you’ll eventually fall into a regular pattern like you do every semester, but there are a few things you can do first to make the transition a little easier on yourself. Making a few small changes now can make for a great semester later. 

Organize yourself.
The first week of classes is a great time to get yourself organized. There’s a good chance your workload will be light, so take this time to go through the syllabus for each class. Write important dates in your agenda or calendar for exams and due dates for first assignments, and take note of the expectations of each instructor. It might even help to make a to-do list for each day until you get used to your new schedule. With your planner in order and a list to keep you on track, you can be sure you’ll accomplish everything necessary for each day.

Before falling into old habits, start new ones.
You might have noticed that your plan to eat healthier at school this year failed by the end of the first semester- and took a turn for the worse with the holidays. Your New Year’s resolution to get back into shape may not last long either but there is hope. Along with hitting the gym every now and then, get your diet back to normal. This doesn’t mean you have to skip the brownies for dessert but you probably shouldn’t be eating seven Christmas cookies a night anymore. Try to start eating at regular times again too, cutting out late night snacks and going all day without eating. 

Have a positive attitude.
It might sound simple but it can change so much. Think about all of the times you went to class annoyed, tired or already bored. You probably didn’t get much out of the class except a few doodles and a game of Hanging with Friends. But when you go to the classes you’re excited about you participate and put more effort into your work, resulting in a better grade. If you take that mentality and place it on all of classes, you can be on the right track to an effective and rewarding semester.

Go to class.
It can be hard to motivate yourself to go to class, especially in the cold winter months of second semester. While waking up early and walking in a blizzard is no one’s idea of a good time, never lose sight of the big picture. Going to class means understanding material better and getting better grades- both all-around positive results- but possibly the best reason to go to class is because you’re paying for it. Let’s face it, college students try to make every penny count, but with the rising costs of books, classes and even tuition, it’s harder than ever to pay for school. So the next time you’re thinking you’ll get some lunch instead of going to class, think about the money that’s going to waste. Or that could’ve been used on a new pair of Sperrys.

Starting a new semester is always a little overwhelming, but with a little organization and focus, you can be on your way to an enjoyable and successful semester.

Lauren Conrad is a Print & Online Journalism senior at the University of Kentucky. After graduating UK with a degree in Sociology, Lauren spent two years working in marketing in Cincinnati, Ohio before deciding to move back to Lexington to enroll in UK's journalism program. Born in New Jersey, Lauren moved to the south at a young age and considers herself a southern girl at heart. A proud Wildcat, Lauren enjoys rooting for all UK sports. Always open for new beginnings, Lauren is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and for whatever new challenges may come her way after graduation!