Book Review: “Turtles All the Way Down” By John Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo By Janko Ferlič

John Green has been one of my favorite authors for a while now. I think I was more excited about this book when it was physically in my hands than when he announced it a few months ago.

While it has been a few weeks and I have had a few days to process the novel twice I think it is Green’s best work. A little more emotionally draining for a different reason. He conveys thoughts and feelings in a way that I felt like I was the character.

The novel is very internal, more in Aza’s head. Point of view works so well this way. I could not see it planning out well in a movie but this particular story requires you to be in her head to see each emotion and thought spiral all the way down.

Green will always be one of my favorite authors pushing the boundaries of young adult novels. He takes taboo topics and turns them into relatable situations and characters I do not want to let go of.

Before you pick up “Turtles All The Way Down” do not read any more into the story and other reviews. You do not need to or you will spoil the novel. Pick up the book and start reading.

Do not shy away from the novel because it is a young adult novel either. While young adult novels have some sort of taboo in it themselves some of the best stories strive in that category.

Either way, “Turtles All The Way Down” is heartwarming, charming and eye opening.

Twenty year old ISC major taking life day to day through a Polaroid camera.