Being a Republican in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

“You voted for Donald Trump?”

“I did not know you were super Christian.”

“So are you like, racist against black people?”

I have heard these questions so many times that I have lost count. This is the life of a republican in college.

When I first got to the university, I had no idea honestly what I was in for when it came to politics on campus. I thought everyone would be like my hometown, paying little attention to what political party you belonged to.

My first experience with this was when I had a republican elephant pin on my backpack. People would look at me more. I even had some people come up and make comments to me. It was honestly so much that I took the pin off. It made me dislike the other major party, because I thought they were more about being yourself. I asked myself, why couldn’t I?

Countless other times I have told my friends that I am a republican, and they change how they act toward me. They are careful with what they say, or they look at me like I am judging them. The ones that are more comfortable with me will always ask, “Well, what do you mean? Economically or socially?” When it reality, it should not matter. I am still the same me.

Political parties are something that should not be such a big deal on campus, but they are. I have gotten to the point that I keep my political views to myself, and I do not open my mouth to partake in conversation. I know that if I do, it typically always ends with “You are a bigot republican,” or “You are such a Trump supporter,” when in reality, neither of those are actually even true.

Being a republican in college is not easy. You will be judged. You will be accused of being a bigot, racist, and a Trump supporter. Some people will look at you and roll their eyes. This is just the reality that is college campuses.

I am here to say that I am not racist though. I am for women’s rights. I am for gay rights. I am for happiness. I am for a thriving economy. I am against tyranny. I am for the environment. I am for reform. I am for assisting other countries. I am for love. I am for the people. I am a republican.

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.