Ask HER: Being Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Dear HER,

The lovebug seems to be biting everyone in Lex this year, but me. All of my friends are happy in their relationships, and with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I’m feeling lonelier than ever. I want to feel good about myself and I try to keep reminding myself that I don’t need a guy to be happy, but it’s hard. What are some tips that can help me get through Valentine’s Day and enjoy being single?

–SinglePringle

Dear SinglePringle,

I hear ya, sister. It sucks when all of your friends are making plans for Valentine’s Day, getting excited to spend their day with their beaus and you’re the odd man out. But, you are definitely not the only girl feeling this way on Valentine’s Day. We’ve all felt this way at some point—myself included. I can tell you, it is possible to make it through Valentine’s Day feeling happy with life, while also being single. I can also tell you, it’s not the end of the world if you don’t have a man. If you’re still feeling sad about Valentine’s Day, check out some of these tips below to help pick you up and put you back on your feet.

• Think happy thoughts. It’s important to love who you are. Each time the self-doubt arrives and that little voice in your head starts to fill your mind with negative thoughts about your singleness, push them away. Think about your best qualities and characteristics, and all the things you have to be happy about. The more you keep telling yourself that you are independent and you don’t need someone else to make you feel complete, the more content you will feel. Every time that little voice pops up, think to yourself: “Single does not mean I’m lonely.” It’s all about believing that you are truly okay without a man—and you are.
  • It’s okay to be a single lady. Keep reminding yourself of all the perks to being single. You save money from not having to purchase a gift. You don’t have to worry about dressing to impress anyone. You can have fun and flirt with whomever you please. You have a whole day where you can do whatever you want whenever you want, which brings me to my next point—treating yourself.
  • Do something for yourself. This is a great way reassure yourself that you really don’t need a man to make you feel happy, and you can do this by going out and doing some of your favorite things. Treat yourself to a spa day, go out and shop ‘til you drop or have a movie marathon in your house—comedies and feel-good movies only, because we want to keep the happy thoughts flowing in your head. Distract yourself for a day by doing the things you love, because you deserve it.
  • Worth the wait. There is someone for everyone out there and that that includes you. However, you have to be patient and you can’t chase after every guy you meet. It’s better to be single than be in a relationship that is forced, so don’t settle. It happens when you least expect it. He may not come into your life right before Valentine’s Day; it may take some time, but when you finally do meet the right guy, you’ll be so happy that you waited.
  • You are not the only one.  It may feel like everyone around you has someone in his or her lives, but believe me when I say that you are most definitely not the only single pringle in the world. Sure, a lot of people in your life are in relationships, but that’s just one group of people out of billions more in the world. You just have to be able to see the bigger picture.

I hope some of these tips have helped you feel better and keep in mind that it’s only one day.

And, if all else fails, you can always spend the day jamming out to Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies.” Because, let’s be honest, if Queen B made a song about being single, then you know it’s cool.

Good Luck!

—HER

Picture Credits:

www.rebbloggy.com

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).
Her Campus UK Contributor Account.