5 Things to Know About Football and Tailgating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

With football season in full swing, here are just a few things that you need to know before Caturday.

1.The game of football is actually pretty simple.

If you don’t quite understand football, here’s all you need to know. The team on offense or the team with the ball gets 4 chances to go 10 yards with the ball. If they go 10 yards before their 4 chances are up, that team gets to keep the ball and tries to go 10 more yards. If the team fails to go 10 yards they have to kick the ball to the other team.

2. Know the important plays.

For example, a sack is an important play. A sack is when the team on defense gets to the other teams quarter back and tackles him. Another big play would be an interception. Which is when the team on offense throws the ball to the wrong player and the team on defense catches the ball. Finally, a fumble is when the offensive team drops the ball and the team originally on defense picks it up and switches to offense.

3. Types of Tailgating.

There are 2 types of tailgating. One is tailgating before going into the stadium to watch the game live. The other is tailgating before and during the game. These tailgaters will watch the game on T.V while being outside the stadium.

4. Tailgating is all about the food and beer!

To have a great tailgating party you have to have good food and good beer. Make sure you have enough for everyone that might come to your tailgate. Feel free to bring your own beer to a tailgate. That way you can drink what you like just in case it is not readily available.

5. Dress appropriately for the tailgate and the game.

Wearing your team is a must, even if your team isn’t the home team. Showing support for your team at the tailgate and the game is a great way to cheer them on. Especially, if your team is the away team, wearing their colors or jersey’s lets them know that there are fans there to support them.

These are just a few basic things you need to know before watching a game or going to a tailgate and a football game. Knowing these few things will make every Caturday that much better! Go Cats! 

Hey I'm Samantha. Senior at University of Kentucky Graduating in December 2016 From Northern Kentucky Aspiring writer and public relations specialist
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.