10 Slang Terms Every UK Student Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

10 Slang Terms Every UK Student Should Know!

For any incoming freshman, here is a list of 10 slang terms you must learn to be a student here at the great University of Kentucky. Please read and review them carefully.

10. Willy T

The William T. Young library is the main library on campus. It has a longer name so students here abbreviate by calling the library Willy T.

9. Cats by 90

This phrase is used the most around basketball season and March madness. This obviously doesn’t mean that the basketball team won by 90 points. But when they do win students and fans like to think it was by 90 even if it was by one.

8. POT

POT refers to Patterson Office Tower on north campus. Your professor’s office will probably be in POT. The tower also holds some classes and has a great place to grab breakfast or lunch, called Intermezzo.

7. Bowman

Bowman’s Den is basically the new place to eat on north campus, while the student center is under construction. There is a Subway, Panda Express, and more great places to eat.

6. BBN

Big Blue Nation refers to the University of Kentucky’s crazy number of fans. There are so many of us that we could easily form a nation.

5. BBM

Big Blue Madness is the first open practice for the men and women’s basketball teams. This is a huge day for BBN. The first practice is very exciting for us because we get to see new talent.

4. Tent City

Tent City is what happens when BBM ticket go on sale. UK basketball fans are so excited for the first practice that some of them will camp outside Memorial Coliseum for a week just to get tickets. There are tents everywhere along the streets and in front of Memorial Coliseum.  

3. Caturday

During football season at UK, Saturday become caturday! That is when most of our home games are played, on Saturday. Therefore, we can’t just call it Saturday. We had to change it to something more festive.

2. Rupp

Rupp Arena is home to UK’s pride and joy, the men’s basketball team. Thousands of fans gather at Rupp to watch the boys bring home the win. 

1. State Street

Finally, State Street. Yes it is a real street here in Lexington. State Street is where the party happens when the men’s basketball team makes it into or past the sweet 16. Right after the sweet 16 is when State Street starts to get crazy.

As incoming freshmen you probably don’t know any of these terms or phrases. But by the time you graduate, you won’t be able to forget them. 

Hey I'm Samantha. Senior at University of Kentucky Graduating in December 2016 From Northern Kentucky Aspiring writer and public relations specialist
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.