This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hi Violeta, what year are you in school and what are you majoring in?

I’m currently a junior. I’m a Political Science and Communications major with a minor in Italian.

Wow, that’s a lot! How did you decide to pursue all of these different interests?

Well, I decided that I really liked documentaries and the news. I couldn’t decide if it was the political aspect I liked or the journalism. I decided to study both and gain knowledge to further my interests in these aspects. As for Italian, I had to take it as a requirement in high school but fell in love with the culture and the language itself.

How are you planning on incorporating your Italian minor into your job search after college?

Journalism and Communications requires a wide range of attributes. I feel that my Italian minor gives me an upper hand in the job field. I speak two other languages fluently and adding on Italian gives me the versatile aspect that most organizations in both the political and journalism fields look for. I think that GPAs and tests are important when entering the job field as a recent graduate. However, the cultural and personality that comes along with having learned a different language can be both a conversation started and a connection that can make a difference with an interviewee. Well-rounded individuals who are driven can convince a company or organization to hire you in expectation that you will give the job the same type of dedication and determination.

I hear that you’ve been a part of a recent campaign? Can you tell me about that?

Yes, I have been working with the Tammy Duckworth for Congress Campaign since early September of 2012 and it has been an amazing experience that showed me a great deal about the political world. It has also given me faith that not all politicians are bad and really are making a positive difference. Other aspects that I was exposed to was journalism and communications through press releases that I was drafting, the media behind-the-scenes at fundraisers, and the broadcasting at election day. One thing I will tell you is that the political and journalism world is that it is not as glamorous as it seems. No matter what position you are, finance director or chief-of-staff, you are going door-to-door, folding pamphlets, and doing the ground work.

You might have seen me on TV. I’m a little famous (laughs). I was featured in a Tammy Duckworth commercial and on her website. I was there since the beginning but felt held back at times because of school and the fact that I don’t graduate for another year and a half. I worked hard on campaigning, financial data work, and met a lot of interesting people that gave me great connections.

Now that the campaign is over, what’s next on your to-do list?

I have seen the ins and outs of the political world and campaigning and it was interesting. I am now planning on applying for an internship geared toward journalism and the entertainment field. The name of it is the ABC 7 Windy City Live show. I was born and raised in Chicago and hope to have a future career in this city and would not want to move anywhere else. I have many options in such a large city and am grateful for that choice. Chicago is known for its politics and media news broadcasting.

Let’s hope you get that internship! Sounds like a lot of fun. What are your future plans after college, any ideas yet?

I’m keeping my options open for my future. I want to be happy but I also want to be successful. My long term goal far in my future is to open a non-profit organization and help people as much as possible both near home and abroad. To get to this point, I need money and to support myself before I can help others. I have thought about law school, the political world, broadcast journalism, and even a show producer of some kind. I am hoping I can narrow my interests with the various internships and experience I gain in these fields. I love so many different things and look forward to all the difference avenues that I embark on. I’m not scared about the future because I know I will make it work and if not, my parents own a restaurant and I can just take over the family business (laughs). I don’t think that will happen until after I’ve tried everything else but it’s an option.

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.