This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’d like to start off and say that this will be one of the most difficult things I’ll ever have to write because it’s to you, and you are my ex. You went from being such a central part of my life back to a stranger, and sometimes I don’t know how to feel about that. I’ve spent hours overanalyzing what I did wrong and why I couldn’t make you happy. I thought maybe if I put more effort, maybe if I was a bit more understanding, and maybe if I waited just a little longer, we could move past whatever terrible storm we were going through and we could be happy again.

But we couldn’t.

Endless nights trying to rationally analyze the problems we had and how to mediate them, attempting to make our hectic schedules work, and trying to relive the happiness we once had all led to us sitting in your car with you telling me that although you liked me, it was best to end things where they were now.

For months I’ve been so bitter, so frustrated, and so hurt that someone I trusted could hurt me the way you did.

For all of that, strangely, I thank you.

Thank you for hurting me the way that you did, because it showed me that I have all these wonderful friends and family that love and care for me.

Thank you for hurting me the way that you did, because it made me realize that right now I’m unable to love someone because I’m still learning to love myself.

Finally, thank you for hurting me the way that you did, because it allowed me to be able to write this and take the first step to forgive you and move on.

Through you breaking my heart, because it has enabled me to slowly realize and believe that I am a wonderful and beautiful person. It has allowed me to know that I am capable of being on my own, that I should create and be my own happiness, and that you were right about all those amazing qualities you said I have.

So thank you, you were wonderful to me and I wish you all the best. 

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.