An Open Letter to My Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Anyone who’s seen Grey’s Anatomy knows what I mean when I say “my person.” The famous duo Cristina Yang and Meredith Grey would be the two that coined the term “my person” and well, they are the ultimate friendship goals. A “person” is more than someone you call occasionally. She is more than a best friend. She is your sister. She might not be someone that you’ve known since you were in diapers but she is the person that is in your corner and knows you the best. Sometimes we don’t appreciate our “person” or we hate them at times, but at the end of the day she’s your other half. Everyone has a person, so don’t think you don’t.

Dear “My Person,”

Congrats! You have the privilege of being my person, which means you get me forever, since there’s a no return policy.  Let’s be clear, I never you saw coming into my life. I didn’t’ ask you to be my person. You were just a person that happened to come in my life and became a permanent thing. I can’t really tell you when you became my person but when I look at my life, I couldn’t imagine not having you apart of it.

I should thank you for some of the things you’ve done, but lets be honest I probably would never say it to your face unless I’m feeling sappy. Thank you for being there for me through the good, the bad, and the ugly. When I had some of my worst days, you were there. I didn’t ask you for a heartwarming talk or a hug but just having you there was all I needed. When I was having some of my happiest moments, you were there. We had a 30 second dance party to celebrate. Thank you for being my best friend, even though, I’m crazy, weird, and awkward. Also, you’re welcome for being your best friend, when we both know that you are crazier, weirder, and more awkward than me. Thank you for not leaving when you had so many chances to. Thank you for being brutally honest with me and never sugar coating anything. Thank you for never judging me. Thank you for keeping me in check, when I’ve gotten out of hand. Thank you for being my best friend, my other half, my sister, and my person.

Alright, I’m done with all of the sappiness. Let’s get to what it’s really like having you as my person. When you’re not here, it really sucks doing things without you. You are always down to go on adventure, whether it’s something simple or something completely insane. You’re my fun friend, my crazy b*tch, my partner in crime, and obviously my best friend. I can already imagine us at 80 years old, driving the nurses insane at the retirement home while we look back at everything we’ve done and just thinking how the heck we never ended up in jail from all the crazy things we did or will do.

At the end of the day, I can’t really describe our “my person” relationship because it’s so unique and special. There are no amount of “thank yous” I can say that will express how thankful I am to have you as my best friend.  You’re the Meredith to my Cristina, the Blair to my Serena, the Haley to my Brooke, and obviously the best to my friend.

I’ll leave you with a quote from Cristina Yang to end this letter.

“If I murdered someone, she’s the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor. She’s my person.”

Hate you most of the time but love you always,

Your Person

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.