An Open Letter To My Long Distance Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Dear Long Distance Best Friend,

I honestly don’t know where to begin. There’s a lot I could say because we’ve shared so many memories together. Each memory reminds me why you’re my best friend and that no matter the distance I can always count on you. I guess the first memory I can start with is when we actually became long distance best friends.

When you told me you were leaving, I didn’t know what to think. I, of course, was happy for you because you were pursuing your dream. I knew that my school wasn’t going to help you achieve that dream and that it wasn’t the school for you. I know that I couldn’t see myself at your school either. There was another part of me though that denied you leaving because it was weird to imagine my best friend not going to school with me. I know this is just life and that things like this will happen. I know that we’re not always going to be together and that after graduation you could move to New York and I could move to California.

I was afraid that our friendship wasn’t going to last, which I know is silly, but it was a fear. We both know that distance can put a strain in any friendship. I was also nervous that we would replace each other or that we wouldn’t know each other as well anymore. All of these were proven wrong. Yes, we have other friends, which some are who we call our best friends. It doesn’t mean that we’re not each best friends though, which was yet again another fear. When we visit each other whether it’s over our holiday breaks or just a weekend we’re free, it’s like no time has passed by us. We easily fall back into place with no awkwardness. We also have endless amounts of texts, Snapchats, and scheduled FaceTime/Skype dates with each other when we want to talk or need advice.

The distance didn’t put a strain in our friendship, but strengthened it. I know that the miles between us can be difficult sometimes, since things would be easier if your school was closer or if we went to the same school. Life isn’t easy and there’s going to be more challenges that come our way. If we didn’t have the miles between us, then I don’t think we would be as appreciative of our friendship. It’s also a nice change of scenery when we visit each other, since our schools are vastly different from each other. Just think if we move to different states after graduation, it’ll be a piece cake.

Love Always,

Your Long Distance Best Friend

P.S don’t expect this sappiness all the time.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.