Music Blog: Go Ahead, Spread Some “Rumours”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I know when we’re younger, we’re taught to shun any form of gossiping. However, I’d like to temporarily break that elementary code of ethics to disclose my thoughts on Grouplove’s sophomore album, “Spreading Rumours.”

As I mentioned last week, “Spreading Rumours” is hot off the vinyl press, with its fresh release last Tuesday. With a blend of spunk and sophistication, Grouplove has progressed in an “appropriate” fashion-keeping the “screech-easy” fun and indie hippie vibe alive while amping up the pop rock and polish.

The first track, “I’m With You” promotes the pending excitement for the rest of the album and offers a dose of old and new Grouplove. “Borderlines and Aliens” pushes a punchy rock edge while some signature-sounding tracks like “Shark Attack” bring you back to the beach.

Their first single of the album, “Ways to Go,” broadcasts that overall, the “Tongue Tied” Grouplove rules. Still, tracks like “Hippy Hill” allude to a more mature sound, evocative of traditional rock with the ever-present wailing vocals and guitar riffs to match. The five friends have grown up on this album without forgetting to keep things playful.

Being a veteran Grouplove concert-goer, I can say that seeing them in the flesh is well worth it. Non-stop energy and color drive the performance and frees any restraint this wild band wrestles with via virtual conveyance of their songs. While their October 9th show at Lincoln Hall is currently sold out, be on the look out for more shows!

In the meantime, stream “Spreading Rumours” below:

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.