In Good Company with Katz Company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Katz Company, a local Chicago band, offer a thrilling live show packed with energy and powerful stage presence. Reminiscent of 90’s alternative rock, Katz Company brings a modern edge to the nostalgic sound.  They have shared the stage with such bands as Blind Melon, Cold War kids, and Taking Back Sunday. 
Alex Katz, singer, guitarist, and founder of the band, started writing music in high school. In college, Katz Company put out their first EP, “Katz Company Music,” in 2009. Their second EP, “Katz Company Presents: The Surgery Sessions,” was released earlier this year. This CD veers away from the pop rock sound of their first EP and, instead, explores melancholic bluesy riffs with lyrical content focusing on the theme of mortality. The inspiration for the CD comes from the extensive surgery Alex received earlier this year on a malformed artery in his brain. The album is fan-funded, and 100% of all proceeds go to Children’s National Medical Center, the hospital where Alex’s surgery took place.

Katz Company plans to release new material in 2012, and they are playing their next show on November 11th, 2011 at the Beat Kitchen. You can find both EPs on Itunes.

Follow Katz Company on twitter: Twitter.com/katzcompany

Photo Credit:
Rock Riot Photography