This Girl is on Fire!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Okay not literally… but she happens to be one of the most influential female R&B artists today! From her soulful voice to her savvy piano skills, this empowered female has some of the greatest hits such as, “No one” and “If I ain’t got you.” Now she is back with a new album and yet another catchy hit called “Girl on Fire.” And what can I say… this girl is definitely on fire! I love everything about Ms. Alicia Keys. From her charm to her beautiful voice and her simple elegance, Ms. Keys is without a doubt one of my favorite female artists.

Alicia Keys is well known for her lyrics focused on love, broken hearts, and female empowerment. What girl nowadays wouldn’t listen to her music? She sings about the feeling of having that first love, the ups and downs of any relationship, and how sometimes not every girl needs a man and will do just fine on her own. Alicia Keys’ music is the best to listen to whenever you need to draw inspiration through difficult times. Or when you’re feeling so many different emotions in a relationship and just need something soulful and hopeful to get you through the day.    
Her fifth album, “Girl on Fire” which was released on November 27, 2012, has singles that stay true to those qualities and her artistry that so many avid listeners are familiar to today. True fans of Alicia will not be disappointed with this release. Her latest single off the album, “Girl on Fire” is definitely one of my favorites. It reminds me of her 2007 hit single, “Superwoman” from her third studio album, “As I Am.” Both songs are just so inspirational and make women feel empowered to do anything they set their minds to. 
I praise Alicia Keys on her hectic lifestyle as an artist, a wonderful mother to her son Egypt, and her ongoing relationship with hubby Swizz Beatz. She acts as a role model to so many young girls out there and continues to bless us with her eclectic music. Whether her songs are upbeat and make us want to dance or are more soft and soulful, she has a song for every occasion. So if you haven’t already bought a copy of Alicia Key’s album or downloaded the songs off of itunes, I highly suggest you do! This girl is on fire and I don’t think she’ll be putting out the flame anytime soon. [:

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.