Food Blog: Spam Musubi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In honor of the fall season, I decided to make fall themed spam musubi. If you don’t know what spam musubi is, it is a delicious treat that is very popular in Hawaii. It is a piece of spam with sushi rice wrapped in seaweed, basically a spam sushi. In some places, they even marinade the spam with flavorings like teriyaki before wrapping it with seaweed. I am showing you the very basic version of spam musbui but definitely have fun with it!                                      

*serves: 1-2 people

Cook time: 5 minutes

Prep time: 30-40 minutes

Ingredients:

Spam 

2 tbsp of rice vinegar                      

Seaweed (Nori)

1-2 cups of sushi rice

Optional: fun shaped cookie cutter, rice seasoning, and wasabi                       

Directions:

1.     First, wash and rinse 2 cups of sushi rice until the water runs clear (the rule of thumb is one cup of water per cup of rice).    

2.     Next, slice the spam into 1 inch thick pieces. Using the cookie cutter, cut the spam into fun little shapes.

3.     In a skillet on medium heat, fry each piece of spam until golden brown. In the meanwhile, cut the seaweed in to ½ inch strips (cut thicker strips for the bigger pieces of spam).

4.     When the rice is fully cooked through, coat the rice with 2 tbsp of rice vinegar and set aside for 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.

5.     Fill a medium sized bowl with water (this will help when you shape the rice so that it will not stick on to your hands).

6.     Take the cookie cutter and fill it with rice (make sure that you pack the rice tightly in the cookie cutter so that it will not fall apart). At this point, you can add the rice seasoning or wasabi on top of the rice. Next, place the piece of spam according to the shape of the cookie cutter on top and press firmly. Carefully, remove the cookie cutter. Now you should have the rice, topping, and the piece of spam on top.

7.     Take a strip of seaweed and wrap it around to seal. You can use a piece of rice to seal the ends. 

Jessica Wu is attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a senior majoring in Accounting. Her expected graduation date will be Fall of 2015. She loves to watch the food network and cook.
UIC Contributor.