Five K-Pop Songs That Will Get You into an Autumn Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Thumbnail credit: Brigitte Tohm

It’s that time of year again, collegiettes: when it’s still cold enough to be winter, but it’s still technically Fall outside. Still, it doesn’t stop people from playing Christmas music for the next two months. But, what if you want to escape that barrage of Christmas music until after Thanksgiving? Or, what if you’re bored of listening to music in English and want to try something different? Well, luckily for you guys, I’ve got you covered. Here are five of my favourite K-Pop songs that get me into a Fall mood—perfect for you all who are tired of Christmas music or who want something different.

1. 11:11—Taeyeon

While Taeyeon is most famous for being the leader of girl group Girls’ Generation, in 2015 she branched out into her solo career. While I strongly recommend you listen to her solo debut “I,” “11:11” with its acoustic sound creates a nice soundtrack while you snuggle up next to the fireplace.

2. “Time and Fallen Leaves”—Akdong Musician

Brother and sister duo Akdong Musician (or AKMU) debuted in spring 2014 after participating in the second season of K-Pop Star. “Time and Fallen Leaves” was originally supposed to be on their debut album, “Play,” but the two held off its release, believing that the song fit the autumn season better—and they were right. “Time and Fallen Leaves” uses a nice mixture of piano, guitar, and violin that goes well with its lyrics: the story of a person walking among their memories, comparing them to falling leaves.

3. “Let’s Not Fall in Love”—Big Bang

This song builds up to the chorus with the rap breaks, but while the rap breaks are hard and quick, matching the angst and conflicted feelings the narrator feels toward his lover, the chorus, and vocal lines are soft, as if they’re trying to reassure the lover that while the narrator loves her, he knows he is not mature enough to give her the respect and love she deserves. Other recommended ballads by Big Bang are “Last Dance” and “Day by Day.”

4. “Palette”—IU featuring G-Dragon

While IU released “Palette” in April of 2017—therefore making it a spring song—its laid-back attitude makes it a perfect song to listen to while you’re drinking tea next to some candles. While the instrumental is relaxing, it’s IU’s voice that really adds to the atmosphere, giving it an almost coffee-shop quality.

5. “Replay”—SHINee

While SHINee has released countless amazing songs since their debut in 2008, it is their debut that is the best match to the weather outside. “Replay” brings the early 2000s throwback, to the forefront, as they mourn the fact that the girl they’re interested in refuses to notice them because they’re too young for her. A very calm song that brings back memories of early elementary school—you know, the days when everybody was obsessed with NSYNC and Backstreet Boys?

I know I’ve definitely missed a few songs here, so what songs are in your top 5? Are you salty that your top songs didn’t make this list? Sound off about it, but regardless, I hope everybody’s Fall is chill as heck!

UIC Contributor.