Dreaming of Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

It may be hard to believe, especially after the tremendous blizzard we just endured, but spring is right around the corner.  I don’t know about you, but I can’t help but dream of a fresh, warm spring day with the sun happily shining down and most excitedly, what I’m wearing on this spring day!  Let’s take a look at some of this spring’s big trends.  If you aren’t already chomping on the bit for spring to arrive, you sure will be after seeing these vibrant trends.

Colors, Colors, Colors…and Make em’ BRIGHT
Of course when we think spring, immediately colors pop into our heads, but this season it’s all about the hyper color.  Back in September at the Spring 2011 fashions shows, the runways were alive with super saturated colors from electric blues and teals to delicious oranges and pinks.  These brights have leaked into the mainstream, pouring into department stores and flooding magazine spreads.  Soon, we will all be embracing spring in a brilliant array of colorful clothes, shoes, and accessories.  Add a splash of color with one piece or go all out in head to toe color.  There’s no wrong way about it. Spring is coming and it sure is bright!

Embrace Lace
It’s not exactly a new trend, but this spring we’re seeing an evolution in the lace and how it’s worn.  Forget the stretchy, all-over lace styles, and shoot for a more romantic antique-style lace.  These more traditional laces look more traditional with wider a wider net, more unique patterns, and sturdier fabrics.  This season, instead of layering with lace pieces, the lace is “the piece.”  Be daring and wear it alone with a cute bra underneath or a barely-there slip under a lace skirt or dress.   Prevent it from becoming overly suggestive by keeping the fit relaxed and hems a little longer.  The end result is a perfectly romantic feel that is perfect for a warm spring day!

70’s Revival
The 70’s are back and it’s not the 70’s you’re thinking of.  Forget hippie dippie, this season it’s all about luxurious fabrics, beautiful prints, and glamour! Think clean, but voluminous with high waisted flare or wide-leg pants paired with silk or satin bow-blouses with billowing sleeves.  Add a belt, super high platforms, and exotic jewelry and you will look stunning in this super flattering silhouette.    Other 70’s key pieces include roll neck sweaters, hot pants, printed jumpsuits, floppy felt hats, leather belts slung low on the hips, huge sunglasses, and statement jewelry.  Take the 70’s look for a night on the town by opting for high sheen fabrics with metallic threads like lurex or silk that glisten in the night.  A long, slinky gown that drapes elegantly over the body with low necklines are the epitome of 70s glamour.  Dress like this when spring rolls around and you will feel every bit as glamourous and you look!

Go Crazy for Prints    
On the Spring 2011 runways, designers were not shy with their prints.  We saw it all from floral, animal, abstract, tribal, and geometric.  Bold, delicate, bright, and light; all possibilities were represented.  Spring is the perfect opportunity for us to bring out those beautifully printed tops and dresses that have been hibernating deep in our closets all winter.  This spring, push it a step further by wearing a vibrantly printed pair of trousers or a head to toe printed ensemble.   Make the ultimate statement and mix your prints!  This is the trend I am most eager to try this spring!  Approach it subtly or go full out and clash prints of different sizes and colors.  Either way, it is sure to be an eye catching look well suited for the lively days of spring.   

Great Lengths
The time has come to set aside that well worn mini skirt or dress and make way for something new.  Yes, it is nice to show off those gams after the long winter, but this spring offers us another option to reach for when choosing a skirt or dress.  The maxi dress and skirt have made their appearance and they’re here to stay.   Expect to see them everywhere and in all varieties too such as flowy, fitted, ruffled, and layered.  For a more feminine or ethereal look, go for sheer floral prints in a silk, modal, or lace fabric.  For an edgier look, shoot for neutrals such as black or grey in a lightweight jersey.  These maxi styles are incredibly versatile allowing you to pair them with just about anything from boots, sandals, leather jackets, belts, and vests.  This allows it to be a great transition piece from winter to spring.  Pick up a maxi in a neutral color, wear it now with boots and a sweater and as it gets warmer, switch to sandals and a lightweight jacket.  The possibilities are endless with this one and nothing beats a spring trend that you can start wearing now!

There you have some of spring’s top trends and now more reasons to look forward to spring!  When spring does eventually arrive, take these trends and incorporate them with your own unique style.  Not every trend works for everyone so it’s important to play around and see what works for you and most importantly what you like.  Fashion is supposed to be fun and a creative outlet for the self.  Don’t restrict yourself to these trends, integrate them as you please and you will have your own distinctive style for spring.  Spend these last weeks of winter dreaming of spring and conjuring up delightful outfits to wear in the warmer weather.  Before you know it, you will no longer have to dream about it because spring will have arrived!

Katie Delaney is an art history major at the University of Illinois at Chicago. After recently moving to the windy city from the suburbs, she feels more in her element and plans on staying as long as she can. Besides a great love of art, Katie has a passion for fashion that can't be beat. With her own unique style, she is always searching through fashion magazines, blogs, and the streets for sources of inspiration to integrate into her own look. With her innate knack for style, she hopes to make her way into the fashion industry, ideally working at a magazine as a stylist or editor, contributing new ideas and taking the magazine to a whole other level. In her free time she enjoys shopping, drawing, painting, spending time with friends, relaxing with her cat, and curling up with a fresh magazine and a hot cup of coffee. Katie is also currently in the process of learning Italian and has plans of taking off to Italy after graduating to explore great artwork and the vibrant fashion scene.