This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Looking for a low-key St. Patrick’s Day? Here are some tips to make your St. Patty’s Day as Irish as you please.

Start your lucky day off right by making some green eggs and ham or pour yourself a bowl of Lucky Charms, complete with milk dyed green.

Don’t have enough green threads to rock? Dye your extra white shirt green by purchasing green fabric dye. Tint it your favorite shade or look up simple instructions for how to tye-dye it. While at the store, why not grab some green nail polish! Sea-foam and Mint green nails are the hottest trend right now.

Listen to some Irish tunes to set the theme. Bands like Celtic Thunder, Enya, Dropkick Murphys, or John Mayer’s “St. Patrick’s Day” are a few of the options available.

Everyone loves food. Try some of these Irish-inspired goodies:

•   Irish Soda Bread: Here’s a simple recipe to make your own homemade

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/irish-soda-bread/

•   Munch on some green M&M’s

•   Bake green cupcakes with the help of boxed mixes and green food coloring

•   Drink Green River, a popular soda developed right here in Chicago!

•   Grab a Shamrock Shake since it is here for a limited time only

Entertainment to watch at home:

•   The Black Donnellys on Netflix. It’s a drama set in New York about four young, Irish brothers involved in criminal activity

•   Leap Year, a Romantic Comedy starring Amy Adams and Matthew Goode in which an Irish tradition states a man proposed to on Leap Day must accept.

•   P.S. I Love You, our must-see pick of the season. It’s an incredible movie, but a for-sure tearjerker.

•   Netflix offers numerous Irish films. Find them located under Foreign Films, and select Irish.

Best of luck creating your very own St. Patrick’s Day! 

Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Germanic Studies Status: Senior Jennifer is a born and raised Chicago girl passionate about her studies. She loves to help people all that she can and contribute to the betterment of others. Used to being on the go, Jennifer is enthusiastic about obtaining her degree and learning many different things along the way. She is interested in music, movies, reading, volunteering, and is a major Blackhawks fan. Her dream is obtain her degree and work with writing in a fashion that will reach out to people.
Campus: University of Illinois at Chicago Major: English with a concentration in Media, Rhetorical and Cultural Studies Minor: Psychology, Sociology Melissa is born and raised in Chicago. She started out at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign before coming to UIC.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.