Chiagoziem Nwakanma (Chy Leona)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Chiagoziem Nwkanma is a wave-making actress/model. The Nigerian beauty considers performance to be a limitless artistic expression. Along with UIC Theatre productions, Nwakanma has worked with media heavy hitters like Graphic X-posure, Blacknoise Productions, and George Lindmark. Don’t let the success fool you, this girl is just getting started! In a recent interview, she discussed her passion for performance, future projects, and advice for other aspiring artists.

Not only is Nwakanma a cutting-edge performer, she also has impeccable creative writing skills. She recently wrote her first web-series titled This Guy, which is about a young woman that experiences a series of unfortunate dates with men (also known as my life story).  This Guy is currently in post-production and is set to premiere in December. 

This collegiette is well on her way toward building a successful, headline-making career. I just hope that she remembers us when she gets her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Be sure to see Chiagoziem Nwakanma take on the role of “Viola” in UIC’s production of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night from November 15th-26th.  

Name: Chiagoziem Nwakanma (Chy Leona) 

Year: Senior

Major:  BFA in Performance

Hometown: Abia State, Nigeria

Hobbies/Interests: Photography, music, eating, watching movies, the list goes on…

What inspired your love for acting/modeling?

Honestly I got into modeling because I knew I was good looking. I mean, I’ve been told I’m good looking lol! And then I got into Acting as an experiment through modeling. I was 16! Now it is so much more than that. Modeling and Acting gives me the permission to truly express myself freely. 

What do you enjoy most about acting?

The process of CREATING. I love the growth that happens between the first day of rehearsal and the opening night. Even up to the final show, although I know my character and text well, there is still the unknown. Anything can happen. I love the element of surprise!

Do you prefer acting in plays or films?

If you asked me this question about two years ago, I would easily say film but right now, I love them both equally. Honestly, I can’t see myself staying away from the stage, but I also can’t see myself not on screen. Being on stage is not like being on film, they are totally different. The training I’m getting here at UIC is for stage performance, so Film is still fairly new to me. I wouldn’t trade either though.

You have been in quite a number of plays/films. Which one was most enjoyable and why?

Each project varies. I enjoy them all honestly. I’m usually more drawn to whatever project I’m working on at the moment, because I’m constantly striving to be a better artist today than I was yesterday. So I would say my favorite right now is “Viola” from Twelfth Night.

What actor/actress do you look up to most? Why?

There are so many actors I look up to and for different reasons, both in Hollywood and Nollywood (Nigerian Film Industry). I honestly can’t name them all. Just to name a few: Don Cheadle, Majid Michel, Jennifer Aniston, Omotola and the list goes on. All Versatile actors.

What advice would you give to other aspiring actors/actresses that are looking to gain experience?

Do it! The only way to gain experience is by DOING the work. Enroll in classes and workshops, go out to auditions, go see live shows, read books. Surround yourself with the craft.

Tell us about your upcoming projects.

I’m in UIC’s upcoming production of Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare, directed by Rob Claire. The show opens to the Public on November 15th and runs through the 24th. 

Also I wrote my first web-series This Guy which is currently in post-production and will premiere in December!

What are your plans after graduating?

To be useful! Lol. To be a working artist, whether on stage or on screen.

Contact:

Chyleona@gmail.com

FB : Chy Leona

Twitter: Chyleona

Alexis Caxton-Idowu is a Senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago studying Political Science. When she is not attending class--or frantically trying to meet a deadline-- she enjoys shopping, reality TV, basketball and blogging.  
UIC Contributor.