Campus Profile: Nikki Janes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Nikki Janes is a hardworking and involved student at UIC, so Her Campus would like to introduce her to you all!

HC: What is your major, and what do you plan to do with it?

Nikki: My major is currently psychology, but I am changing it to graphic design because I can get a job right out of college with a Bachelors in graphic design. Then from there, I can fund my way through grad school for my counseling master’s degree. My ultimate goal is to become a clinical psychologist. 

HC: How are you liking UIC, and why did you chose to attend school here?

Nikki: I love UIC because of the student body. Everyone is socially aware of what is happening globally and are concerned about what is going on in the world. The students here are aware of the issues and actively work to improve the state of it. It’s very proactive, which shows me how caring UIC’s students are. I chose this school because I knew how diverse it was. Diverse in many different ways.

HC: Which clubs are you in at UIC?

Nikki: I am in the UIC Navigators club and I am also in UIC Pride. UIC Navigators is a Christian club and we meet every week and read bible passages, and then discuss it and how it relates to our own individual lives. UIC Pride is a club where we discuss issues within the LGBTQ+ community, rather it be concerns or things we want to celebrate. Often, we discus as a club, what we are interested in creating awareness of.

HC: Why are you in these clubs, and what do they mean to you?

Nikki: I’m in the Navigators club because of the people I’ve met there and the relationships I’ve made with these people, who truly care. It’s important to me because it broke down stereotypes I believed about the Christian faith. UIC Pride is fun and the discussions are always both educational and entertaining. The people in these clubs are some of the most genuine people I’ve ever met. I’m in the pride club because I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community and I found a place that I feel I can relate to. It’s a place of belonging.

HC: How have these clubs impacted your college experience?

Nikki: These two clubs have helped with my college experience by creating friendships and meeting people who have given me support that I truly have needed as I start my college career. College is hard, and can feel like a slow transition, and having a strong support system is vital. Being a part of these clubs have given me a sense of belonging and a home away from home, which has made college fun and more than just an educational experience.    

UIC Contributor.