Campus Profile: Alexa Vargas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Name: Alexa Vargas

Age: 20   

Major: Pre-Nursing

Year: Junior

HC: What has been your best experience at UIC thus far?

AV: I’ve had many great experiences while at UIC! But so far, my favorite was the whole season I was a co-coordinator for FIA Modern with my friend Joe Shin. I got closer with all of the great individuals who joined our team and created unforgettable memories with them.

Alexa has accomplished a lot at the age of 20, and she is looking forward to her exciting future endeavors such as nursing school

HC: How did you become involved in FIA Modern?

AV: A friend and I were on our way to go to another dance audition/workshop for a different school, but he wanted to stop by UIC first. We went to FIA’s (Filipinos In Alliance) first general body meeting. There, were a couple of people who came up to me advising me to audition. A few days later I tried out and got in!

HC: What have you learned about yourself thus far? Is there anything that you would do differently if given the chance?

AV: I have learned more about who I truly am as a person. No, I don’t regret any of the decisions I’ve made!

After many practices, hard work and dedication in perfecting their dance routines, FIA Modern won 2nd place at Lake County’s Best Dance Crew

HC: What adversities have you overcome? School? Personal? 

AV: At first it was hard for me to adjust to the college lifestyle. I came from a small high school where the teachers basically guided you and reminded you of everything. So, it took a while for me to get used to being a little more independent in terms of classes. But, after a semester I became a little more accustomed to the lifestyle.

HC: Your personality is so positive! How do you maintain such a positive attitude?

AV: Dancing, eating good food, napping, and surrounding myself with friends keeps me sane and happy.

Alexa’s passion for dancing can be seen through her performance at World of Dance 2015

HC: What are you looking forward to accomplishing this school year?

AV: I hope to get straight A’s this semester! Keyword hope.

HC: If there is any advice you can share with other young women on our campus what would it be?

AV: To live your life to the fullest and have fun, but don’t forget your priorities. Don’t be afraid to isolate yourself once in awhile to get more in touch with yourself. Also, be very open to new things and new people!

HC: Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to share your story with us, Alexa. You are an inspiration and a role-model for other women on our campus. We wish you the best on your future endeavors and can’t wait to see what you will continue to do for our campus!

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.