At Another Standstill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

While this time of the semester may have you feeling like you are at a standstill, take time to weigh your options.  Make decisions that will stick and that characterize you as you are.  In the meantime, stand up and enjoy your youth as well as a glass of Blondes’s “Wine.”  You can resonate with the electronic motif that leads into this song – waiting for something. By this time, an ongoing theme in these music reviews has circulated patience and the idea of waiting.  Join Andy Warhol in the excitement that your current standstill could result in, while enjoying an end to this song, which brings change accompanied by the voice in the back of your mind.  Take it in any direction you please.  But do not regret.

And once you have found a place in your mind for peace regarding the uncharacteristic thing you did the other day, celebrate with Of Montreal’s “Dour Percentage.”  Olivia Newton John’s “Xanadu” meets Bee Gees in this blast of percussion and wind instruments, paired with vocals that reach galaxies far away.  Yet another common theme that is space welcomes us.  Descend from the distant worlds and acknowledge that with music like this, mistakes are acceptable and change is essential.  Join Of Montreal on a ride over the rainbow.  No one said you had to hit the ground to challenge reality, after all.

With the weather hitting highs that Chicago never would have dreamt of in 2012’s month of March, step out of your comfort zone and unleash something new in you.  Do not be afraid to express how you feel. Join the sprightly vocals of Chico Trujillo’s “Loca,” in some sort of lament. 

Don’t be afraid.  Let yourself go and change “you.”