7 Ways To Become A Better Person (Tomorrow)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Some days we do things we aren’t proud of or say things we don’t mean, and unfortunately, second chances in this world aren’t a luxury. In situations like this, it’s easy to bash your mere-human flaws and feel completely defeated. Luckily, there’s a silver-lining: the amount of chances that you can give yourself are limitless. If today is not your day, don’t sweat it. There is a grace that comes with leaving yourself room for improvement so that you can strive again tomorrow. See below just how to become that better version of yourself one step at a time.

1. Smile more often

A genuine smile is more than a reflection of your happiness. It improves your mood and has the ability to speak a hundred words all on its own. In addition, smiling can boost your confidence, ultimately making you look more approachable. So basically…Look good, feel good, am I right?

2. Be open-minded

Naturally, everyone gravitates toward the comfort of certain values and beliefs that they feel very strongly about. This is good, but it also doesn’t hurt to broaden your perspective. Take a chance and challenge the way you look at things by learning to become more comfortable in your most uncomfortable zone. Trust that the experiences from this process are meant to leave you with an enlightened outlook on life.

3. Listen

The trick to lending a listening ear is to be particular about not only what you listen to, but who you listen to. There isn’t anyone in this world who understands you more than yourself, so absorb as much as you can from the guidance of those you deem wise and trustworthy, and take the time to evaluate your thoughts from there.

4. Practice forgiveness

Sometimes finding it in your heart to forgive someone (or even yourself) is difficult. Understand that while the future cannot change the past, the present can indeed change the future. Besides the fact of who was ultimately in the wrong, harness your strength to be the bigger person. Doing so may take longer than anticipated, but know that a positive mind eventually leads to a positive reality.

5. Stay humble

Everything happens for a reason. There is no way to ensure that the certainty of the people, experiences, and opportunities in your life now are guaranteed forever, so if not today, make moves tomorrow! Be grateful for the lessons that consistency and inconsistency in your life has brought you, and be sure to cherish the blessings that are yet to come.

6. Learn to laugh at yourself

You will be surprised to know that everything is better with a grain of salt. Inevitably, there will be days when sh*t hits the fan, but roll with the punches in the meantime by laughing along the way. You’ll see that having a sense of humor can make your life a bit easier.

7. Live in the moment

Finally, they say that in order to live the life you love, you must love the life you live. So make sure you surround yourself with people who add to your life, not take away from it. Live for the moments (big or small) doing what you love with people you love even more.

Monica is a lifestyle, beauty, and travel blogger for Her Campus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a full-time, Dean's List student studying elementary education with a concentration in English. Before joining the editorial team, she dedicated countless hours of volunteer work as the Community Service Chair for Chi Sigma Omega sorority. When she graduates, she plans to teach and volunteer in underprivileged communities overseas. Her hobbies include running, binge-watching Friends, baking, and traveling.
UIC Contributor.