This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

As much as we all want to pretend finals week isn’t getting close, it’s time we accept the fact that it’s just around the corner. Once we accept this fact we can begin to buckle down and get to work. Studying is always a pain, but is always worth it when you get the grade you desire. Below are some tips to make studying a little less of a pain and a lot more successful!

1.      Study with a friend.

Studying with a friend is great because you can help each other understand the material. If you don’t understand something, they may be able to explain it to you and vice versa. Studying with a friend also      can make studying feel less like a chore. You can motivate each other and keep each other focused, but you must make sure you choose your study buddy wisely! Don’t choose someone who will distract you or prevent you from doing your best.

2.      Get yourself pumped up and motivated before you begin studying.

This makes studying much less of a chore and your studying will be more effective and efficient. I recommend working out, listening to your favorite music, or doing anything else to get you motivated to ace your exams!

3.      Make flash cards.

Flash cards are a classic—and for good reason. If you’re studying for a test that requires a lot of memorization, flash cards are the perfect studying tool. Not only will making the cards themselves help you study, but once they’re made they are a quick and easy way to quiz yourself on the information.

4.      Organize the information in a way that makes sense to you.

If you aren’t the flash card type or you simply want an alternative, I recommend trying to organize your information. You can make tables, charts, diagrams, or whatever else you can think of. This will help you recognize patterns and connections between the information you’re trying to study which will make it easier to remember and comprehend. This is an especially useful tip if you’re a visual learner!

5.      Take breaks while studying.

A human brain can only concentrate on one task for so long. According to the MIT Center for Academic Excellence, it’s best to study for periods of 50 minutes with 10 minute breaks. This allows you to be more productive and prevents you from getting burnt out.

6.      Turn off all electronic devices while studying.

In order for the 50 minute study plan to be effective, you need to get rid of any and all distractions during that time. Those 50 minutes are a time of intense concentration. When you reach your allotted break time, you can turn your devices on and use them as much as you want for the next 10 minutes.

7.      Pace yourself.

Decide how much time you want to allow to study for a particular exam, then plan accordingly. Try to divide up the material into chunks, only focusing a single chunk, in detail, for a couple of hours every day leading up to the exam. Then, the day before the exam, I like to go over everything more briefly. This refreshes my memory just before the test.

Clare is a sophomore at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Marketing and planning on minoring/double majoring in Finance. In her freetime, Clare loves drinking tea, hanging out with her friends and catching up on her favorite TV shows!
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.