6 of the Best Foundations for Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Summer is definitely one of the best seasons for beauty products. Brands come out with new lines, you can play around with fun colors, and not having class means that you actually might have enough time to put your face on. Of course, every summer makeup look needs the perfect base, so below are some suggestions as to what you might want to try depending on your preference for type of foundation as well as your budget.

Powder Foundations:

1. Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation, $36

Powder foundation is a great option for collegiettes who have more oily skin in the summer. The formula mattifies your skin and keeps it from getting shiny, which can be especially beneficial if you plan on spending the day out in the sun. Tarte’s version is a great place to start, because it contains Amazonian Clay, which makes it long wearing and gives it a beautiful matte finish. The powder allows for a medium to full coverage depending on how many layers you use, and you can also use it as a finishing powder over a liquid foundation if that’s more your style. It’s a little pricey, but it’ll last you a long time.

2. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation, $11.99

If you’re on a budget or haven’t tried powder foundations and want to start small, this is a good option. Depending on your preference, this foundation is available as both a pressed and loose powder. The mineral formula makes it super blendable, and the finish is nice and natural. I’ve found that this takes a little more time to build up to full coverage, so if you feel that you need extra coverage you may want to layer it over a BB cream, tinted moisturizer, or light liquid foundation.

Liquid Foundations:

1. Maybelline Fit Me, $7.99

Because it’s so affordable, this foundation is perfect for the months when your face transitions into different shades. It comes in two formulas depending on your skin type or finish preference, so you can choose between Dewy + Smooth or Matte + Poreless. If this is an old favorite of yours, it’s recently been reformulated to include the Matte + Poreless option, so the Dewy + Smooth is closest to the old formula. This foundation looks very natural on the skin and has buildable, blendable coverage. Plus, it has an SPF of 20 that’ll help out your regular facial sunscreen.

2. Make Up Forever Mat Velvet+ Matifying Foundation, $36

If you have a little extra cash to spare from your summer job, you might want to give this a try. It’s great for summer because it’s an oil free formula that achieves a powder-like finish once it’s blended, so it’s super light and won’t leave you hanging if you have extra oily skin in the summer. Although pricey, like the Tarte powder, a little goes a long way for full coverage, so this product will last you a while.

BB Creams and Tinted Moisturizers:

1. Maybelline Dream Pure/Dream Fresh BB Cream, $7.44 – $8.99

My favorite thing to wear in the summer is BB cream, because it has a light feel and usually has an added SPF. Maybelline’s BB creams are a super affordable way to lightly perfect skin while also protecting it from the sun or breakouts. The Dream Pure formula contains salicylic acid to help control acne and breakouts, while the Dream Fresh formula has an SPF of 30 to protect your skin from sun damage. BB creams are a great travel item because they combine makeup, moisturizer, and skin care into one product, so you don’t have to shove a bunch of different things into your makeup bag if you’re headed on vacation this summer. This product has light coverage but can be built up to medium, and if I need full coverage I like to mix it with the Fit Me foundation.

2. Josie Maran Argan Tinted Moisturizer, $38

Tinted moisturizer is another great foundation alternative for collegiettes who like to let their skin breathe a little in the summer. This product has an SPF of 30 and contains argan oil, which is an excellent all-natural moisturizer. Because the SPF is non-chemical and the ingredients are natural, this is the perfect product for those with sensitive skin. It provides medium coverage and is ultra-lightweight, so you’ll barely even feel it on your skin. Although it’s pricey, if you’re someone who really appreciates buying all-natural products, it’s totally worth it. Plus, if you’re in a rush, it’s blendable enough that you don’t even need to apply it with a brush, so you can just smooth it on with your fingers!  

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so. 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.