5 Reasons Why You Should Treat Yourself Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Let’s face the facts, it’s midterm season again which means you’re either pulling all-nighters at the library, downing your fourth cup of coffee at your laptop, crying in between the bookshelves, or all the above for exams that may or may not screw you over for the second half of the semester. But hey, what’s college without the stress right? Well, trust that while Hell may only be a week long, finding bliss in all the chaos is actually possible and incredibly healthy on your mental well-being (a.k.a., sanity), but only if you allow yourself to go through with it. See below just why you shouldn’t hold off on those mini spa nights, shopping sprees, and fat jeans any longer. You’ll thank yourself for the self-indulgence later. 

1. First of all, you deserve it

And you know it. Your hard work and accomplishments have gotten you this far, so don’t sell yourself short. Be sure to have your cake and eat it too.

2. Everything is good in moderation

While there’s nothing wrong with being selfless, remember that you’re a human too. The balance between selflessness and selfishness should be a goal that you hold yourself accountable to. Mastery of this skill will help you become a well-rounded person.

3. You’ll do better

Don’t beat a dead horse by trying to pound in ten assignments all at once. You’ll find that taking a break from your course load and returning to it later with a fresh mind will not only re-energize you but help you power through to the very end without crashing.

4. You’re only getting older

Don’t be that person who looks back on all the shoulda-coulda-wouldas. Leave your cubicle, even just for fifteen minutes, and live in the moment. Enjoy the time you have right now in the sun, the rain, the mountaintops, wherever! You’ll never be in this exact position and age again, so make the most out of it.

5. This break is good for the long run

If you’re a workaholic, think of it this way: technically it’s your job to love yourself. At the end of the day it’s every person for themselves, so don’t slack on prioritizing your own happiness. You do you boo-boo!

Monica is a lifestyle, beauty, and travel blogger for Her Campus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a full-time, Dean's List student studying elementary education with a concentration in English. Before joining the editorial team, she dedicated countless hours of volunteer work as the Community Service Chair for Chi Sigma Omega sorority. When she graduates, she plans to teach and volunteer in underprivileged communities overseas. Her hobbies include running, binge-watching Friends, baking, and traveling.
UIC Contributor.