sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Things to Remember When Choosing a Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Halloween is this week! Here are four things to remember when picking out your costumes. 

1. It isn’t offensive

It takes a lot to come out to the world, so this Caitlyn Jenner costume from her Vanity Fair cover is completely inappropriate. This marked a huge part of her life, so it should not be seen as something comical to wear.

2. It is not mocking a race or culture

Native Americans, Geishas, Mexicans, etc. are not a joke. They are people and turning them into something funny to wear is cultural appropriation.

3. It’s appropriate for the weather

Unless you’re going to be indoors, don’t wear something so short and fresh if you are going to be spending time outside. You don’t want your costume to be ruined by your jacket and scarf!

4. It isn’t basic

It’s easy to get cat ears, draw some whiskers and a little dot on your nose, but let’s try using our creatvity. There are many other simple, but clever costumes we can come up with very few materials! 

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.