This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We’ve all been in a situation where we’ve settled or just stayed with a guy even if he wasn’t the best because we needed someone. Sometimes we’ll think, “He may not be the best, but at least I have someone.” Don’t say you haven’t done this, because we’ve all done it at least once. Some can think we were being selfish for leading the guy on or dumb for staying with a guy that doesn’t give us the world, but at one point we just wanted someone. I’ve done it a lot of times, but realized that I deserve someone who will give me the world.

Collegiettes, you deserve someone who:

1.  Won’t walk away from you and not look back

Your guy will not simply walk away from you after a fight. He will turn back around and try to make it work. Of course, you’ll both be pissed after a fight, but you know in the end things will work out. He shouldn’t walk away from you when things get hard. All relationships come with their ups and downs, but that’s why you two work together to make things work. If he can just walk away without looking back at you, then let him walk away, honey, because he is not worth it.

2. Makes you his first priority

He’ll give you his full attention when you’re together. It is unrealistic to think that he’ll devote all his time to you because there is school and work, but you’ll know you are his first priority. You aren’t an afterthought in his mind, but a first thought. When you two are together, he isn’t doing other things like texting, but is focused on you. If he doesn’t make you his first priority, walk away.

3. Treats you with nothing but love and tenderness

He makes you feel special. He treats you like you are his princess. You can look in his eyes and see the love and adoration in them. You never have to question his feelings for you because he makes them clear. He gives you those earth-shattering kisses that you feel down to your toes. When you’re in his arms, you know he’ll keep you safe. When you fall, he’ll be there to catch you.

4. Is honest with you

The saying is that honesty is the best policy. Your guy is COMPLETELY honest with you. He won’t hide things from you. You two should feel comfortable with telling each other things. It can span from the past, present, and future. There should be no skeletons in either of your closets because you should be able to tell each other everything.  You don’t want him to be a Pinocchio. If there is no honesty, then where is the relationship going?

Those are just a few of the things, but truly consider this. Ask yourself if it’s worth settling when you know there’s a guy out there willing to give you the world. You deserve the best whether or not you see that. So dump the chump, and go find the prince.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.