This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The Student Government Association at UGA gives voice to everyday students and acts as a governing and representative body for the whole community. The problem remains though that not many students are taking advantage of this organization. There is a common perception that SGA is out-of-touch and has become self-serving. Our latest Campus Celeb, Sean Malone, would like to put an end to this misconception by implementing his ideas if elected SGA’s next President.

Sean’s Thoughts: SGA should help students achieve his or her own personal goals, as well as help out other student organizations. They should become more public and transparent to gain the trust of its students. Finally, SGA members should seek out input and really give the student body a chance to voice their concerns.

“I want to help bring SGA to its potential to improve the experience for the everyday dawg, to be something that students are proud to represent them, not something they resent. I believe in the potential SGA has on this campus and the potential students have to better this campus. It is my hope that I can YOUnite these two forces to do awesome things for this university,” Sean says.

Before introducing the YOUnited Campaign’s platform, let’s meet the rest of Sean’s team running for Executive Board. Jaime Conner, running for Vice President, served as Student Government Senator at her previous institution. She worked on a huge project with SGA this year called Nachos with Nancy and is Volunteer UGA’s General Service Network Coordinator. Finishing off this dynamic team is Jenny Grifenagen, running for the Treasurers Position. She is currently Committee Lead for the Public Relations Committee within UGA Miracle and Activities Chair for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. As a sportsfanatic, Jenny also serves as a captain for UGA Baseball Diamond Darlings and as a UGA Football Gameday Host.

Their Platform:

YOUniting as People: Sean, Jaime, and Jenny made personal pledges to stay approachable, not simply during the campaigning period. They genuinely want to hear what each and every student has to say so that they can be better represented, and they have a few ideas on how this can be accomplished. Sean proposed having Exec Office Hours twice a month at Jittery Joes in the SLC. They want to know what SGA is doing well and especially what they are not. More importantly, their team is so determined to connect with the students that they will literally meet you for coffee, fro-yo, you name it. They have also decided upon having a SGA Student of the Month in which anyone can be elected. Winners will be chosen based on three pillars of Justice, Wisdom, and Moderation. Lastly, in attempts to open up SGA to the public, Sean invites you the students to attend anything SGA, even cabinet.

YOUniting as a Campus: This aspect of YOUniting acts to increase Senator Accountability. They believe the students should know who is representing them as Senator. To achieve this goal, Senator must attend or host a minimum of three events each semester. In order to increase involvement from other student organizations, Sean would like to set up a type of scholarship where 10 percent of their monthly stipend is donated to one lucky organization. “Student organizations are the driving force behind student life at the University and do some amazing things. We’d just like to recognize the awesome things they do by giving a little back,” Sean says. Various student organizations could also get involved with SGA by helping co-sponsor Sunday Dawg Dinners, a monthly gathering that is social but informative about what is going on at SGA or on campus. Sean, Jaime, and Jenny would also like to keep students informed about what goes on within SGA by recording each Senate and posting it on SGA’s website.

YOUniting as a Community and State: The last part of the platform will greatly help out individual students by promoting assistance in both community service and networking through internships. Each SGA member will be required to fulfill a minimum of ten hours community service each semester; but more importantly, the idea is that other students will be aware of this and asked to join. Through specialized ListServs students can subscribe and become directly involved with what’s going on within SGA. Their idea of the Dawg-Tern Network will undoubtedly get student’s attention because who couldn’t use some help networking, making connections, and landing an internship? Sean explains, “With the Dawg-Tern Network [students] can contact SGA and request to be added to the Network; leaders of alumni chapters would then be able to connect with these students and introduce them into the post-graduate Bulldawg family. This would be online and be similar in format to social media channel like LinkedIn and Facebook.” Various UGA alumni are always looking for undergraduates that would be perfect for certain internships, and the Dawg-Tern Network would put students directly into contact with them.

Sean, Jaime, and Jenny work hard to YOUnite the students with their innovative ideas to change up the current system at the Student Government Association. Hear what else they have to say during election week, April 9-12 and be sure to get involved and get voting!

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.