This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is Teman Worku, a third year student at UGA studying digital and broadcast journalism. Born in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, this proud Habesha girl went to high school in Snellville before finally calling Athens home. Since starting college, Teman has been involved in numerous organizations at UGA including WUOG 90.5, the student run radio station on campus, Gamma Sigma Sigma National Service Sorority, The Red and Black, Newsource, Student Alumni Council, The Arch Society, and more than one study abroad program.

The first study abroad program that Teman attended was in Meknes, Morocco. The trip lasted for the duration of the Fall 2013 semester and was what Teman calls a “life changing experience.” While there, Teman took Arabic classes and became even more certain of her desire to become a global citizen.

“I want to travel as much as I can,” she said. 

The spring after her semester abroad, Teman spent almost a week with other Grady students in Washington D.C. for an “Inside Washington” tour in which students were afforded the opportunities to go behind the sets of renowned news networks CNN and NBC. This trip solidified Teman’s desire to work for the British Broadcasting Corporation as an international correspondent.

“Sometimes, I hesitate to do things, but fear of missing out pushes me to do and be involved in as many things as I can,” she said. “FOMO keeps me on my toes.”

When asked what she does in her free time Teman responded, “I don’t have free time!” When she’s not doing schoolwork, Teman is usually either working or volunteering with the UGA Student Alumni Council.

“I’ve worked every semester I’ve been in college,” she said including server, student worker, camp counselor, and barista in her list of recent occupations.

In the rare moments when she can relax, Teman likes to sneak away to the Founder’s Garden to relax or go to lectures and hear professionals shed insight on current events and bigger ideas.

Brianna is a fourth-year student majoring in magazine journalism at UGA.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter