The Latest from Apple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Last Monday, Apple held a conference to announce their newest technologies. Apple generally releases their new iPhones in September and computers over the summer, but buzz in the tech world made it seem like this conference was going to be a big one. I tuned into the keynote, hoping for exciting news about iPhones or Macbooks, but it took a while for Apple to get to the good stuff. At first, the presentation focused on environmental impact…even on saving yaks?

This picture is straight out of Monday’s keynote! Interesting move, Apple. 

Normally, I’m happy to care about the environment. I’ll reduce, reuse, and recycle as much as I can, but when a few slides are standing between me and the latest from Apple…who cares about the environment, just give us the iPhones! Eventually, Apple announced their new technologies. There were a few updates with Apple TV and new bands and a lower price for the Apple Watch, but the biggest announcement is the iPhone SE!

Before you get too excited, you should know that this new iPhone is built to be technologically the same as an iPhone 6S, just at a smaller size and a slightly smaller pricetag. It still comes in the same metallic colors as the current iPhone, but all the screen sizes are 4″.

With that, a software update was also released: iOS 9.3 includes improvements to Health and News and a security improvement for the Notes app. With Apple’s current conflict with the FBI, it’s good to know that the company really cares about consumer security.

Apple also released a smaller, lighter iPad pro that keeps the technological improvements of the Pro with the size of the original iPad.

Sometimes, Apple events can be as exciting as Christmas for the tech-savvy collegiette, but this one left some to be desired. Hopefully Apple will impress us a little more next time!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.