Katie Fisher:Diamond Darling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

It is time again to sing “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” and cheer on the Dawgs at Foley Field. Baseball season, a special UGA tradition, is upon us once again.

Many students attend baseball games throughout the spring, and there is never a lack of spirit amongst the crowd. Yet most people do not know about the special support system working off the field.

Our campus celebrity for this week, Katie Fisher, is responsible for much of the enthusiasm backing one of our most watched sports teams.

After being a cheerleader throughout high school at Girls Preparatory School in Chattanooga, Tenn., Katie knew she wanted to continue her involvement with sports in some way when she came to UGA, so she decided to get involved with Diamond Darlings.

Since her freshman year, Katie has gradually taken on more and more responsibilities within the organization. Her enthusiasm and bubbly personality along with her strong work ethic have led her to ultimately be chosen as the group’s president.

Katie’s duties as Diamond Darlings president include promoting the baseball team on social media, planning fun events and acting as a host at all of the team’s games. Basically, for any activity that aims to get students – as well as the players – excited about Georgia baseball, Katie’s the girl in charge.

Serving as the president for Diamond Darlings is certainly time consuming, but Katie says it is worth it to see the results of her hard work pay off. The players really appreciate the efforts of her group, and they may even perform better as a result.

Now that you have some insider knowledge about what happens before the first pitch is thrown, remember Katie next time you’re cheering on the Dawgs – and cheer even louder!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter