It’s His Birthday and I’ll Cry If I Want To.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Dear Male Delivery,

What do I get him for his birthday?

Thankfully, I have had the privilege to write on this topic so close to my birthday (one week away) and so, understand that I may be throwing subtle hints to my friends and my readers (I am looking at you, friends and family!).

Aren’t you glad that the boyfriend has the clearest interests and material desires that are so undoubtedly revealed through what he says? Well, I guess you would be if that were EVER the case. The fact is men, especially of this age, are so hard to buy for. We no longer abrasively tug on mommy’s pants and point to the Lego set and Nerf guns (I still want those as an adult) and declare our inherent right to say, “I want that.” Speaking personally, there are not many things that I explicitly want, but that does not mean that I don’t want ANYTHING.

I have found that this drives girls crazy.

You all want to go above and beyond and buy us something that is truly special or unique that earns you the title of “best girlfriend at UGA.” That’s understandable in that you want him to feel esteemed on his birthday because, well, it is HIS birthday.

However, with my simple answer, I think I may either make everything simpler or more complicated. Sorry, I’m not sorry.

ANYTHING THAT YOU DO FOR HIM WILL OR SHOULD BE SPECIAL AND AWESOME.

Forget the video games, 12 packs, razor kits or power tools. Think not of a physical presents (unless he openly desires them), but seek to serve instead of impress. This may involve making an incredible meal for the both of you. Or taking him to all of his favorite restaurants in one day. Or taking him skeet shooting if you prefer a more back-woods adventure. Or going to see the band that he absolutely loves to see even though you absolutely abhor their 30-minute jam solos or use of the jazz saxophone (Remember, it’s for him, not you). More memories have been made from these things, for me, than any slick jacket or book has made. It’s a gift that shows you cherish his joy.

Also, don’t ever be embarrassed to contact the bros, inner ring, the “boys.” His circle probably knows a lot more about his interests than you do. You would be surprised.

He will cherish anything that you do or buy for him. That’s what birthdays are all about, not things, but people. If he does not appreciate your effort in things, do not credit it to your work but to his ungrateful attitude. For anybody to give us anything on a random day during the year merits all of us to be somewhat grateful whether it’s a car or just a special notebook. It’s a chance for people to say I appreciate you and respect you and love you. Bigger, grander, more expensive presents don’t always say as much as an act of love or serving can. Most of the time they miss the mark.

Lastly, don’t ever forget to give him a big ole smooch at the end of the night whether he likes it or not because that’s cute (Yes, I am heterosexual guy and I said “cute,” we do exist).

Sincerely,

Your Real Live College Guy

Got a question you want me to answer? Sumit them here. Be sure to follow me on twitter for my mini dating tips!

A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter