Imani Campbell: UGA Fashion Diva

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Meeting this dime my freshman year in English 1101 I knew that she was going to be successful and a force to be reckoned with! The University of Georgia is lucky to have such a bright, strong, and positive young woman blessing this campus. 

1.     What’s your full name?  Imani Jocena Yanette Campbell

2.     Hometown? Lawrenceville, Georgia

3.     What’s your age and class year? I am 21 years old and in my third year. Almost done! Woohoo!  

4.     What’s your major? Why did you choose your major? I am a Fashion Merchandising and Consumer journalism double major. I’ve always known that I wanted to work within the fashion industry, but just couldn’t figure out if I wanted to work the business side or the journalism side. With that being said I decided to add a major in consumer journalism, because it allows me to take some Terry and Grady classes in addition to my fashion curriculum, so I can get skills from all three until I decide which road I’m going to take. 

5.       Who or what was it that fueled your love for fashion? Who’s your favorite designer? As shocking as it is, there is no specific person that fueled my love for fashion. Since I was a little girl, I’ve always been super immersed in the art world. I’ve just always loved creating, whether it is painting, sculpting, or even jewelry making. I think it was playing with dolls in elementary school that really got my fashion curiosity going. I became obsessed with styling and beauty from the online make-up games. My obsession only grew with the introduction to the internet and fashion blogging in middle school. My interest has only grown over the years. That’s why my major is what it is today.

6.     What do you hope you do after you graduate? Ha! Honestly, I am still figuring out what I want to do after a graduate. But I know for sure that I want to move to the a big city—probably to New York City or Los Angeles. Those are really active areas that suit my personality more and I feel like I would be around more fashion inspiration and fashion opportunities in regards to work. 

7.     Why UGA? Like out of the thousands of other schools what made you choose good ol’ UGA? I chose UGA because I’m a big believer that everything happens for a reason. I only applied to 3 schools: Georgia State, University of Georgia, and Stanford. When acceptance letters began coming in I got one from my dream school Stanford that I was not doing to be accepted. But, I got into Georgia State and UGA and chose UGA, because it has the specific program I was interested in, fashion, and Zell paid for it. 

8.     What is a quote that you try and live by?  “What’s for you, will always be for you”. I believe everyone was made for a purpose and your life was written before you even existed. So whatever opportunities that come my way, if they were written in my book they are going to reach me no matter what, so there is no need to stress over spilled milk. Just grind and shine, and whatever is meant to be, will be. It’s destiny. 

9.     Who inspires you and makes you want to be a better you?  Beyonce. She gives a great example of what it means to be a powerful and liberated woman. She has done an amazing job of branding herself and her work. She exudes confidence and an on-fire presence. I love the way she carries herself, hat her brand is all about in general, and her ability to command attention and respect. 

10.  Hobbies? I FREAKIN’ LOVE MUSIC. I’m always up for trying new food, reading/following health, fashion, and beauty blogs. I love to go dancing and have a good time! College is about trying new things and experiences new events so I am always on the lookout for new things to get into

11.  What are you involved in on campus? I am involved with a few things on campus! I am the Public Relations co-chair of UGA’s in house modeling agency, The Agency. I am also President of For Loving Yourself  which is a student organization that is all about promoting healthy body image and increasing awareness of eating disorders on campus. I have modeled for Africa Night, work in the Textiles, merchandising and interiors office at UGA and downtown at DePalmas Italian Cafe. 

Year: Junior Major: English Hometown: Winder, GeorgiaFavorite Place: Sitting next to a fire with a good book in my handFavorite Song: Anything Adele Biggest Fear:  Snakes, Spiders, and Porter Johns. I know, weird right?