College Decor 101: Her Campus UGA’s Guide to Athens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

We know that finding great dorm decor can be tough! So, here are a few tips to take your dorm room go from ho-hum to fabulously chic! Five ways to enhance your dorm room decor:

1. Lighting: The type of lighting you use in your room is key. Instead of using a regular desk or floor lamp, try using paper lanterns. They are affordable and come in many different patterns and shapes to fit your personal style. Check out this DIY lampshade that is both budget-friendly and stylish.

2. Wall Decals: A wall decal in the right place can make the difference between an average dorm and an awesome one. They are cheap and best of all, they are removable. We love this “Just Breathe” decal for only $25.

3. Throw Pillows: Throw pillows are a dorm’s secret weapon! They’re subtle enough to blend in and interesting enough to make a statement. Never underestimate the power of a nice throw pillow. Want one of a kind throw pillows? Check out this DIY tutorial for unique throw pillows

4. The Perfect Rug: Getting a cute rug is an easy way to liven up your living space.
Some rooms would look average if it weren’t for a stylish rug. They add color as well as covering up those ugly dorm floors. We love this black floral rug from PBteen… plus its on sale!

5. The Perfect Comforter Set: The comforter set you choose is what you should base all of your decor ideas on. That’s why it is important to choose one that most reflects your unique style and ideal living space. Bed, Bath and Beyond is a great place to find a comforter to fit your personal taste.

The key to dorm decor is to make sure it reflects your personal style. You will be the one living in it for a year so make sure it’s what you want. Feel free to make it fun, colorful and one of a kind!

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.