The Best of Pentatonix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The five-person acappella group Pentatonix, composed of Mitch Grassi, Scott Hoying, Avi Kaplan, Kirstin Maldonado and Kevin Olusola, burst to the music scene in 2011 after winning NBC’s The Sing-Off. Since then, the group has released one original album, two Christmas albums, and five EPs. Here, we give you the best of the best of Pentatonix’s musical discography.

Gif from Giphy.

Best Holiday Song: “Silent Night”

It’s no wonder Pentatonix’s cover of “Silent Night” goes viral every holiday season. With their hauntingly perfect vocals, this version of the Christmas classic makes one want to curl up next to a flickering fire with a piping hot cup of hot cocoa in hand.

BONUS: Their cover of “O Come All Ye Faithful is really fun!

Best “Evolution of…”: “Evolution of Music”

While they’ve also done “evolution” videos for artists Beyoncé and Michael Jackson, this one covers music since the 11th century! It’s incredible to listen and watch the years as the popular music style radically changes over the years.

Best Collaboration: “Jolene (with Dolly Parton)”

The group doesn’t normally go country, but PTX accels in this duet with Dolly Parton. They even performed this version on The Voice with Dolly AND Miley Cyrus! 

Best Mash-Up: “Daft Punk”

With over 240,000,000 views, the video speaks for itself. It’s like going to a Daft Punk concert in under five minutes. 

Best Original Song: “Standing By”

This song is about the strength of friendship, and the combination of beautiful harmonies and lyrics make it Pentatonix’s most memorable original song.

BONUS: “Ref,” “Baddest Girl,” and “Cracked” are also favorites. Hey, it’s hard to pick just one for such a talented group!

Best “Sad” Cover: “Say Something

As if the original “Say Something” wasn’t sad enough before, Pentatonix takes it and smashes our hearts into tiny bits. Bonus points for Kevin on the cello!

BONUS: Last year, the group released a cover of “Hallelujah” that quickly became a fan favorite.

Best “Happy” Cover: “Rather Be”

This feel-good song makes listeners want to grab their best friend and travel across the world.

Best Cover: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

While Queen certainly leaves big shoes to fill, Pentatonix’s cover does not dissapoint. This cover is fairly new, released April of 2017, but it’s sure to become a Pentatonix classic. At 2:48 of the video, you can even see Mitch Grassi doing the impressive guitar solo with his voice

Maggie is pursing a Public Relations degree with a certificate in Public Affairs Communications at the University of Georgia. Her favorite cities are Washington, D.C. and Orlando, Florida. Her regular Starbucks order is a grande iced vanilla coffee, and you can find her on Instagram and Twitter @maggie_cav.