Amanda Turner: Guiding Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

As a fourth-year student at the University of Georgia, Amanda Turner truly understands what it means to “commit to the G.” She’s ambitious with her studies, very involved on campus, and recently earned a spot on UGA’s 2015 Homecoming Court. And of course, Amanda spent the last summer pouring her time and energy into one of campus’s most coveted leadership positions: Orientation Leader.

Amanda adored getting to interact with UGA’s incoming freshman class over fifteen sessions with her “Extraordinary Elevens.” 

“There is nothing more special than getting to meet 5,200 students and getting to learn who they are,” says Amanda. “Their stories are powerful, and it is an honor to cheer them on and champion them throughout their first year.” 

With Amanda’s major, it’s no surprise that she enjoys helping people who are younger than she is. She’s studying Human Development and Family Sciences, with an Emphasis in Child Life and a Certificate in Disability Studies. When asked about her career goals, Amanda said, “I plan to be a Child Life Specialist, working in pediatric hospitals to help children process and cope with their diagnosis through medical play therapy, diagnosis education, and procedural support.” Amanda’s contagious smile and sweet disposition will definitely make a positive impact on children’s lives. 

On campus, you can find Amanda helping with Family Relations in UGA Miracle, giving tours as a visitors center employee, acting as an SGA Freshman Forum Personal Advisor, or at campus ministries CRU or Wesley. You might also see her taking a walk to watch a beautiful Athens sunset, ringing the Chapel Bell, or enjoying friends and live music at an Athens coffee shop. 

Amanda is an amazing role model for UGA’s freshman class and everyone else at UGA. When asked for her best piece of advice for a younger student, Amanda advises against putting too much value in their GPA or resume. “If you place your worth in celebrating who you are and who you want to become, then life is suddenly much more sweet and full.” Amanda shares this message as the founder and main writer for the online publication Just Sparkle, which “encourages women to shine just by being who they are.”

Thanks for encouraging us to sparkle, Amanda!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.