Add Color to Your Winter Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The weather is less than reliable in Athens. In the months from September to December, the temperature can rotate from being in the 40’s all the way to being back up in the 70’s the next day. So we haven’t quite hit our winter slump, but it is fast approaching. Be prepared this year by putting all the right things on your Christmas list. Think color! It’s so easy for us to fall into a pattern of neutrals, earth tones, and wearing black. Don’t go day after day in bland winter attire. Try these tips to infuse color into lifeless ensembles and you’ll remain radiant throughout the dreary winter months and all way into spring.

1. Classy & Colorful Shoes- Walk around and usually you’ll see an array of brown, black, and cream colored boots. Who says you can’t get a little dressed up this winter? With all the holiday parties, New Year’s Eve events, or even a trip downtown, try to mix things up with a pair of bright pumps. Sometimes we associate colorful heels with being tacky, but the goal is to make the shoes the main part of your outfit. Try Jessica Simpson’s Waleo Suede Platform Pump. They come in a wide variety of bright colors. How to wear them? If you like the cranberry pumps, pair them with a sexy black dress and black tights. My favorite are the Fresh Water pumps. They are a royal blue color and would look great paired with a chic silver dress.

2. Bright Tights- Make a statement with your tights! There are very rare occasions during the winter that we are brave enough to go out with bare legs and as girl, we don’t always want to be confined in jeans or pants. As always, stock up on black tights, but don’t be afraid to throw a few unique pairs into the pile. Try Express’s Opaque Full Tights. Pick from any of their bold color choices. Pair your colored tights with your winter dresses to stand out and make your outfit pop.

3. Expressive Outerwear- Choosing a new jacket or winter coat is crucial. This article of clothing will get a lot more wear than any of your other pieces so remember to choose a color that is the most flattering for you. Try Victoria’s Secret’s Skirted Peacoat. Peacoats look great on just about any body type, but this new skirted peacoat flares out at the bottom, helping you maintain your womanly hourglass shape. Even during the winter and under a coat you can show off your figure. Try colors like Indigo, Red, or even Empire Yellow.

4. Vivid Scarves and Accessories- The way you accessorize an outfit can really enhance your look. Adding a colorful scarf or handbag instantly draws people’s attention and pulls together an outfit. My personal favorite Pashmina Scarves are from Entourage Clothing & Gifts in Athens. They are the perfect length, lay right, and can be transformed any way you like to wear your scarf. Each is only $8 and you’ll be able to find one to match any outfit! Now why not splurge this Christmas and put the Coach Kristin Leather Hobo bag in coral on your wish list. It’s in-stores and online for $298.

5. Flashy Jewelry- “Flashy” doesn’t mean tacky or fake-looking diamonds. You want statement pieces that call attention, but complement your outfit. Think big, whether it is an elegant or a bohemian style you’re into. Try Private Gallery’s Copper Stretch Ring with Square Blue Stone. Private Gallery is located in downtown Athens and you can also shop online at shopprivategallery.com. The great thing about wearing flashy jewelry is that you can wear it with a simple and comfortable outfit of jeans and a basic tee. You’ll instantly look more polished and out together.

6. Bold Makeup: Why not experiment this winter with some looks you haven’t tried before? During the day, experiment with “ice blue.” Most of us have stayed away from blue eyeshadow since Middle School, but now we are older, wiser, and know how to make this look work. Try Sephora’s Baked Moonshadow Trio in Blue Blood. Apply the ice blue eyeshadow, and then finish your eyes with either a blue or black subtle liner and mascara. Keep the rest of your makeup very natural looking so your eyes will stand out, but your face won’t be overdone. Another great look involves adding bold, dark hues to your lips. For a night out try classic red lipstick. If red is definitely not your shade, experiment with a deep purple. 

How will you be putting color into your wardrobe this winter?

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.