books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Witchy Books to Read to Get You in the Mood for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Reading for leisure is something that only the lucky ones have nowadays. Here are a list of five must read books and book series that will get you in the Halloween mood! 

1. Harry Potter by J.K Rowling

These books are among the classics that have been shaping people’s lives since their release in the late 90’s and early 00’s. Although the movies are beautiful cinematic pieces, the books have much more details making them a must read. Want to know about Hermione’s crusade against cruelty towards house elves by Peeve’s the ghost? Look no further than these books! 

2. The Witch’s Daughter by Paula Brackston

This book perfectly blends historical fiction and fantasy. It is a welcome change from the classic teenage girl discovers she’s a witch and is sent on a journey formula that we all know and love. Brackston successfully portrays many time periods and the struggles of each of those periods in history. Highly recommend reading this book along with the sequel! 

3. The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

The Bone Witch follows Tea, a witch who can resurrect the dead. This book is interesting because it deals with a not-so-typical power and the struggle that rises from it. Because of the misunderstood nature of her power. Tea is feared and ostracized by the majority of people. Will Tea be able to master her powers before dark forces overtake her home? This book will leave you on the edge of your seat wanting more. It’s a must read for sure! 

4. All Souls Trilogy by Debroah Harkness

This best seller isn’t one to miss. The trilogy includes A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of the Night, and The Book of Life. Harkness successfully creates an entire world of magic. The reader is introduced to seemingly normal historian Diana Bishop as she attempts to avoid her family’s long standing magical traditions. For those of you who love vampires, there is no shortage of that in this trilogy. Diana Bishop and vampire Matthew Clairmont make an unlikely but lovable duo. You definitely don’t want to miss out on this trilogy! 

5. How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather

This book is incredibly interesting because the author explores her own ancestors. Samantha Mather is a incredibly sassy and relatable protagonist. If you like books based on true historical events, this is the one for you. Seventeen Magazine refers to How to Hang a Witch as where Mean Girls meets history. If you’re looking to reminisce about high school, this is the book for you. 

So go and pick up a book, you won’t regret spending some time reading!

Images: 1,2,3,4,5

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.