This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Gone are the punishingly cold temperatures where we rely on oversized sweaters, leggings, and functional boots to get through the day. With the rising forecast comes the need for skin-bearing pieces that show off what we’ve got while keeping us cool. In the past, summer has brought out trends that are difficult to replicate if you’re not rolling in cash. This year, things are looking a bit more promising for us penny-pinching collegiettes. 

1. Solid colors as statement pieces

It used to be that you had to fork over a whole week’s paycheck in order to participate in eye-catching statement pieces like chunky necklaces and elaborate rings. This summer will bring the addition of bright and solid colors as the central focus of the ensemble. If you were at all apprehensive to buy that neon orange maxi dress last summer, this is your opportunity to indulge! 

2. Footwear made fabulous

If you’re going to be spending a lot of time outside, you might as well look good while you’re at it! Many designers such as Stella McCartney and Valentino have been releasing fashion-forward tennis shoes that serve a dual purpose: functionality and fabulosity! Wear these with a pretty blouse and some shorts and no one will be the wiser. (shoes pictured: DSquared2, farfetch.com)

3. Lace, lace, and more lace

What better way to look great and feel comfortable than by donning a breathable, lacy top? These look great on their own as dresses or paired with solid-colored shorts. Either way, you’ll be catching a few prolonged glances as you strut down the sidewalk.

4. Metallics

This shiny trend made a brief visit during the winter, but didn’t quite take off. Instead, you can expect to see metallics in the form of makeup and smaller ensemble details like buttons and jewelry. Pick up some metallic pieces and reflect the summer sun like the goddess you are. 

5. Shimmery eyeshadow

To complement the metallics trend, swipe on your favorite shimmery eyeshadow color onto those peepers for a truly eye-catching look. This looks best paired with black eyeliner on the upper lids and a nude lip. 

Third-year student at UGA double majoring in Germanic & Slavic Languages and Communications Studies. I adore all things beauty and fashion and have been devouring magazines and beauty blogs for as long as I can remember. Language and culture are my passion and I hope to one day combine my interests into an exciting and fulfilling career!
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).