5 Spoken Word Poems That Every College Student Needs To Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Being a student in college is tough. Between dealing with friendships, love and classes, we find ourselves mentally drained by the end of each semester. With the fall semester winding down, I think it’s safe to say that we’re all feeling pretty exhausted by now. But, hopefully, these five spoken word poems will give you strength and courage, whether you need to get over that relationship that’s been weighing you down, to continue working hard in classes, or to simply believe in yourself a little bit more.

1. Anis Mojgani, “Shake The Dust”

“Speak every time you stand so you do not forget yourself.”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve actually listened to this in the morning, in my car, walking to class, etc. Anis Mojgani has an amazing way of twisting words, making each line a work of art, and giving hope and strength to whoever listens to it.

2. Shane Koyczan, “Instructions For A Bad Day”

“Life is gonna come at you armed with hard times and tough choices; you voice is your weapon, your thoughts ammunition…”

We’ve all had those days that we thought would never end. Shane Koyczan puts “those” days into words and helps us overcome them.

3. Sarah Kay & Phil Kaye, “When Love Arrives”

“Love arrives exactly when love is supposed to, and love leaves exactly when love must…”

Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye are my favorite poetic duo. Though they’ve done a few other pieces together, this one hits hard and explains the twists and turns we all experience in love. Their mixture of humor and emotion prove just how skilled they are in accurately describing the highs and lows of love in under five minutes.

4. Sarah Kay, “If I Should Have A Daughter”

“Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.”

I started listening to Sarah Kay about a month ago and now I can’t get enough. This poem has so many lines that can resonate with just about anyone and each stanza could be a poem by itself. If you like spoken word, then make sure to check this girl out. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

5. Shane Koyczan, “To This Day”

“And if you can’t see anything beautiful about yourself, get a better mirror, look a little closer, stare a little longer…”

This poem has somehow planted itself in my heart and has become a part of me; I’ve shown this to countless people, and still get teary-eyed whenever I watch it. If there is one spoken word poem that you ever listen to, please let it be this one.

Thumbnail by Oscar Keys on Unsplash.