5 Shows to Binge-Watch Over Holiday Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The holidays are all about relaxing with your family. Here are five shows that are unexpectedly binge-worthy and easily available on the internet. 

1. Frequency 

An unexpected premise, Fequency puts a new twist on the murder mystery series. Set in both 1996 and 2016, we follow a father daughter duo who communicate through time using a radio in their garage. Unexectedly changing the timeline for the worse, the pair are stuck together to attempt to fix time. I really like this show because it isn’t the typical formulaic mystery that we see on TV over and over. Although it’s not CW’s best work, I would definitely recommend watching. 

2. Fuller House (Season 2)

A newer release, season two of Fuller House brings back our nostalgia by introducing more characters from Full House such as Gia, Viper, and other original members of Jesse and the Rippers. Season two was better put together, with subtle nods at Full House, while still managing the maintain its own unique plot. Fuller House is still not nearly as good as the classic Full House, however, they have smoothed out some of the rough patches of season one. 

3. Good Girls Revolt

Although Good Girls Revolt was recently not renewed for a second season, the first season was definitely impactful to watch. Based on a true story, Good Girls Revolt follows three women in 1969 (and later 1970) as they gather information, with fellow women in their work place, to file a complaint against the fictional newspaper, News of the Week, who allows women to only be researchers and prohibits them from writing as reporters. I really enjoyed watching this show because it provided an insight to life forty years ago, which I have only heard about up until now. 

4. Jane the Virgin

Jane the Virgin is my all-time favourite show. Based on another one of CW’s unique plots, Jane the Virgin comedically blends aspects of Spanish telenovelas with American drama to create a show that is unlike any other. This drama follows the young Jane Villanueva as she accidentally gets artifically inseminated and becomes pregnant without ever having sex. I personally melt for all the cute and meaningful moments between the family members, and greatly enjoy all the unexpected plot twists that seem too good to be real. 

5. Supergirl

Supergirl is an ode to the female super hero and a different twist on the Superman story. Supergirl follows Kara Danvers as she tries to navigate through two lives: A normal life trying to blend in, and the life of a superhero who keeps her city safe. I personally like this show because Kara represents all the goodness in the world and what is right. This show is a unique twist on the Superman story that is definitely worth a watch. 

Happy watching!

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.