5 Scary Movies Worth Watching on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

1. The Haunting in Connecticut

This is a movie about a family that relocates to a house closer to the hospital treating their son for cancer. The family soon starts experiencing a plethora of supernatural occurrences, which leads them to learning about the history of their new home. This movie is a good watch and has a nice overall plot. Although not the most horrific movie, it definitely has its moments. 

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street

This movie surrounds a group of teenagers who all live on Elm Street. Freddy Krueger, a man burned alive by a group of angry parents after he was acquitted of murdering 20 children, haunts and kills the teenage children of the parents who killed him in their sleep. This movie is very suspenseful. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering if any of these teens are going to make it out of this terrible nightmare that has become their lives. As a bonus, A Nightmare on Elm Street features Johnny Depp in his younger days!

3. The Conjuring 

Based on true events, The Conjuring follows the Perrons, a family, who is violently harassed by an evil spirit in their new home. The family seeks the aid of Catholic “demonologists”, Ed and Lorraine Warren. Through many dark and unfortunate occurrences, the audience is perpetuated into the lives of these unlucky people.  

4. Annabelle

If you’ve seen The Conjuring and you absolutely want more, we recommend watching Annabelle. This horrific pre-quell to the unbelievable events that happened in The Conjuring will surely disrupt your sleep schedule. 

5. The Last Exorcism

In a documentary-like set-up, The Last Exorcism follows a pseudo-pastor, Cotton on one of his cases in a small, rural town. Cotton’s case leads him to a seemingly mentally ill girl named Nell whom they soon learn is the victim of much more than psychological issues. This movie sneaks up on you. Throughout the movie there are not many pop-up scares and it is relatively not so scary. However, the last few scenes will leave you with violent disturbing images!

Chinazor Offor is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Fashion Merchandising while seeking a certificate in New Media. You can usually find her dividing time between Her Campus UGA, watching game of thrones, and planning her move to sunny LA upon graduation. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter (@thechicrevolt).
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).